Redding Artist Wins 2015-2016 Calif Upland Game Bird Stamp C

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Redding Artist Wins 2015-2016 Calif Upland Game Bird Stamp C

Post by rlown »

Nice work and it's slow around here. Adds some color to the season..
Redding Artist Wins 2015-2016 California Upland Game Bird Stamp Art Contest

FEBRUARY 26, 2016

A painting of a male ring-necked pheasant and a Brittany hunting dog has been chosen by a panel of judges as the winning entry in the 2015-2016 California Upland Game Bird Stamp Art Contest. The painting was created by Roberta “Roby” Baer of Redding, the first California artist to win the honor since the 2011-2012 contest.
2015-upland-game-winning-entry-roberta-baer.jpg
Sponsored by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), the annual contest is held to determine the official design for the upcoming year’s California Upland Game Bird Stamp.
2015-upland-game-_2nd-place-turenne.jpg
Artists submitted their own original depiction of a ring-necked pheasant. The setting and details were determined by the individual artists, but entries had to include at least one adult ring-necked pheasant and be representative of the species’ natural habitat in California if a background was included.

A painting by Diane Ford of Bethesda, Md., placed third in the California Upland Game Bird Stamp Art Contest. (in the article referenced below)

The entries were judged Thursday by a panel of experts who were selected for their knowledge in the fields of ornithology, conservation, art and printing. Designs were judged on originality, artistic composition, anatomical accuracy and suitability for reproduction as a stamp and print.

The judges praised the acute realism of the winning entry and one noted the “remarkable level of detail” evident in Baer’s rendering of the pheasant.

The realism that impressed the judging panel was inspired by Baer’s fond memories of youthful adventures in the outdoors.

“When the species for this contest was announced, it brought up old memories of hiking when I was a kid growing up in the country,” said Baer, a wildlife artist who was raised in Palo Cedro (Shasta County). “I remember seeing those stunning pheasants all the time and hearing their distinctive sound. For me, it was like going back home when I was painting.”

An upland game bird validation is required for hunting migratory and resident upland game birds in California. The validation replaces the stamp through CDFW’s Automated License Data System, but the stamp is still produced and available to hunters upon request. Money generated from upland game bird validation sales are dedicated solely to upland game bird-related conservation projects, hunting opportunities and outreach and education. CDFW annually sells about 175,000 upland game bird validations and distributes approximately 17,000 stamps.

Any individual who purchases an upland game bird validation may request their free collectable stamp by visiting http://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/collector-stamps. An order form is also available on the website for collectors who do not purchase a hunting license or upland game bird validation or for hunters who wish to purchase additional collectible stamps.

The ring-necked pheasant was chosen this year due to CDFW’s recent efforts to fund projects to address pheasant population declines in California. For more information, please visit http://www.wildlife.ca.gov/conservation/birds/pheasant.

Tim Turenne of Richfield, Minn., placed second and Diane Ford of Bethesda, Md., placed third.

Media Contacts: Scott Gardner, CDFW Wildlife Branch, (916) 801-6257
Kyle Orr, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8958
Source: https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/02/ ... t-contest/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Redding Artist Wins 2015-2016 Calif Upland Game Bird Sta

Post by gary c. »

Both are beautiful.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

kind of funny. I have stamps since '91. They probably mean nothing except to me.

I really liked the winner's painting this year. Other than that's not what we actually see when hunting. Pheasants don't just stand there like that, and we generally have 13" of brush that they run through even with the dogs. That being said, Roberta did a great job with the painting!!

Thanks for the comment, Gary.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Have to agree with you Russ about never seeing one like that when hunting. Other than scaring the crap out of me jumping up and flying off mostly what I see is in between the brush flattened out and doing their best roadrunner impression.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray