Man kills mountain lion

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Man kills mountain lion

Post by The Other Tom »

Hard to believe, but...
Do any of you "locals" know more about this ?
http://calcoastnews.com/2016/02/slo-man ... ions-neck/
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Man kills mountain lion

Post by TahoeJeff »

From the article: "Olson broke the mountain lion’s neck, killing it instantly."
I would say Olson is a pretty tough dude...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Some of the stories have been retracted. I'd need a report of the Mtn Lion body and pics of his scratches.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'd need a report of the Mtn Lion body and pics of his scratches.
What, it could happen Russ. I fought and pushed Bigfoot off a cliff several years back, sorry no video or pictures. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yeah. I have 3 Squatchs under my belt.. :D Just trying to keep the myth alive.. I'll almost swear there is Bigfoot living near the trail junction down from 4th of July Lake and Summit City creek. Other side of the creek though. Was a wonderful cacophony of sound.

Anyway...

And the best advice I've ever read was as your out walking, look up in the trees. Lions like that as a pounce point.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

maverick wrote:
I'd need a report of the Mtn Lion body and pics of his scratches.
What, it could happen Russ. I fought and pushed Bigfoot off a cliff several years back, sorry no video or pictures. :unibrow:
I was just getting ready to take a selfie with my bigfoot kill when the aliens abducted him. Beamed him up right in front of me. I was bummed. I had to return the Bermuda Triangle empty handed, and Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earhart didn't believe my story. :angry:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

The local media has reported that the guy has fabricated the entire story (i.e. he lied). The TV station, KSBY, was obviously red in the face for not doing anything to validate what turns out to be such a ridiculous story.

On a related note, a couple of friends of mine were out trail running in the same general location in San Luis Obispo County a few years back and came upon a couple of mountain lions.
mtnlions.jpg
One the the two said "we came around a corner and sitting there in the road were two full grown mountain lions. I guess we looked pretty scary cause they took off running the other way (thank goodness!) " It would seem trail running in pairs paid off, else the mountain lions might see you as lunch.

It's getting late, I have to sign off to finish my Sasquatch TR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks Shawn
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Bigfoot threw a stick at me last year in the Kern trench. I stopped to wipe off some sweat and the stick just came flying through the trees. Couldn't see him, but I could smell him.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.