Vancouver Island Canada - Monster Lingcod

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
brandonkop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Vancouver Island Canada - Monster Lingcod

Post by brandonkop »

Fishing for Monster Lingcod and hooked up with a dandy on a Delta Tackle Scampi Tail Glow Jig. We were baiting our hooks with some fish skin which is super tough, stays on like a charm and lasts for hours. Hauling up these huge, great tasting fish is one of the joys of fishing off of Vancouver Island here in British Columbia. It is amazing that you can drive to a fishing destination like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxekMxxj9cg
https://youtu.be/cxekMxxj9cg[/youtube]
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Vancouver Island Canada - Monster Lingcod

Post by rlown »

Nice Ling! Where I used to go out of either Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz, CA, the seas weren't that flat (swells), and there were blue sharks that would gladly take your fish (well half of it) by the time you got it up near the boat. It's really nice to see that someone can actually fish in sunlight :) We on the cali coast were mostly in the fog.

Thanks for the report, Brandon. Now post a recipe?

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Ha Ha, from farmer to fisherman. Down here in So. Cal. we're fishing 60 miles away and 1200 ft deep. We fish with an anchor and ganyon for reds and such, but the true Lingcod fishermen will drop a single heavy rubber jig tipped with squid. I don't mind anchor fishing, but I'd prefer what you were doing. It's fun to bring up a stringer of fish in one haul, but it basically a day of dropping and pulling anchor.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:Ha Ha, from farmer to fisherman. Down here in So. Cal. we're fishing 60 miles away and 1200 ft deep. We fish with an anchor and ganyon for reds and such, but the true Lingcod fishermen will drop a single heavy rubber jig tipped with squid. I don't mind anchor fishing, but I'd prefer what you were doing. It's fun to bring up a stringer of fish in one haul, but it basically a day of dropping and pulling anchor.
'

Assuming you mean dinglebar fishing? http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Ding ... bG46ayS7cQ
(scroll down to the dinglebar section..

Some recipes included there as well :)

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

No, I mean ganyon. 3 to 5lbs of lead at the end with a series of 5 to 10 hooks on dropper loops going right up the main line. For the life of me, I can't seem to find a simple drawing.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

One of these?
rockfishproducts2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I bypassed that shot because it was only two hooks with a skirt. Not worth dragging 5lbs of weight up and down 1200 ft for only two hooks. Here's the best I can do drawing with a mouse.
Untitled.gif
I've seen them 50 hooks in length. You wouldn't believe it, but the guy I saw using it had what looked like a PVC bong with a slit all the way down the side. He attached one swivel end to his line and slid each hook in succession up the slit to keep the line from tangling, then he attached a 5lb sinker at the other end. He put his rod in freespool with the clicker on, held the base of the bong pointing the other end toward the water and let the weight go. The hooks shot off like a machine gun. It worked well for squid and when anchovies were nose hooked.

I watched this guy fire this thing off, sit for 20 minutes, then reel up 40 or 50 whitefish with a few reds or other rockfish mixed in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Makes me want to go meat fishing again.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah.. at the 1200' mark the rules on hook mgmt is probably different, but I understand your rig. Closer in, the rules are getting tighter off the coast of Cali.

Used to tie my own sturgeon, striper and shark rigs. Shark rigs were wire with large hooks. All fun. Rules all changed.

Thanks for the update, Jimr, and not meant to detract from your really nice video Brandon. Still want to see how you cooked the beast.

Russ