Hiking in Japan: Shirouma Dake to Ogizawa, North Japan Alps

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking in Japan: Shirouma Dake to Ogizawa, North Japan

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Nice! A really great report and pics. Thanks for posting. There are a few species of trout unique to Japan that I would like to catch someday and I believe some are found in the region that you trekked. Nice to have an idea what the region looks like. The ryokan you stayed in looks almost identical to the one we stayed in when we were in Kyoto. Good times!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Very beautiful and lush, even above timberline. What was the elevation? The Japanese are big in Himalayan climbing so I suspect, in comparison, the chain up rocks is not considered difficult. Good to see that tenting is also allowed. We are spoiled in the Sierra with less rain than most mountain ranges. But all that rain sure makes for lush conditions!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Great report! I think I would probably detour around those chains...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Wow, great pictures of an amazing looking place. Thanks for the report.

Don't suppose there are any high lakes up there stocked with trout...
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Ikan Mas, I know you are an avid fisherman. Did you contemplate any fishing? Like FlyGuyDave said, there are some unique species of trout in those Japanese mountains. I would love to try for some of those fish with a Tenkara rod and a few sakasa kebaris!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I have contemplated fishing in Japan, but not on this trip. The trail was pretty much a ridge runner. Didn't see much water. You are correct that there are some interesting species of trout in Japan. Akita and north is the area that trout fishing is most prominent.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Rockyroad wrote:I was curious where in Japan this was so checked it out on a map and found a very strange feature.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... &z=15&t=t1
This is clearly a digital data gap. There is no feature like this on Earth.

Late edit: I examined the satellite photo and you can see from the photo that there was a problem with the digital data. The program drapes the satellite photo on the topography--you can see in the satellite photo that very ordinary features were hugely stretched to drape on the bogus hole-in-the-ground. If these features were 'unstretched' to a normal aspect you'd get pretty ordinary topography there.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ofuros
Topix Acquainted

Post by ofuros »

Love eyeing other countries mountains, greenery & culture.....enjoyed. :thumbsup:
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Trying out a new web photo service, as my photobucket is full. Here is another photo from the trip. Let me know if you can see this.

So I came to the trailhead, which is near the Ogizawa Bus Station that I showed earlier. There was a group of people setting up a tent just feet from the pavement. Since it was late in the day, I assumed that they were staging for an early hike the next morning. That said, I found it very odd that they would pitch a tent next to a stretch of busy road between a narrow bridge and a tunnel. I'm obviously missing something here. There seemed to be room to pitch around the TH, but perhaps that was forbidden. There was also a bunch of noisy construction work in the stream below (see road sign) that would sleep undesirable.

The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Pic works just fine. Thanks for posting.