mtnsteve's Winterfest 06

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

mtnsteve's Winterfest 06

Post by hikerduane »

I had a good time at mtnsteve's annual celebration in Lassen National Volcanic Park ushering in the new year. Steve mostly hangs out on Backpacker also widely known as TT. I only lurk there. Steve and some friends went in late Friday, Dec. 30 and set up in the dark at Silver Snag, about 2 miles from the parking lot. The majority of us went in Saturday morning under partly cloudy skies but still nice out. I hiked up in powder pants and a Driclime shirt over a Polartec 100 top then pulled the Driclime shirt off after a short distance. That night, when the last of us hit the sack my trusty zip-o-gauge was showing 17 degrees, not too bad. Sunday morning we woke up to light snow crystals falling which turned into light snow and almost got our shelters all the way white before stopping. After a late ending breakfast because of a couple of Steve's friends leaving and fixing a big breakfast before they took off and a couple young guys showing up, one of which Steve knew and of course they ate some of the eggs and sausage being served, about 5 of us headed out for a snow shoe/ski trip for 3-4 hours. We found a place after lunch that offered us some nice views of Chaos Crags and the top of Lassen Peak poking out of the clouds. Very nice. New Year's eve, most of us stayed up for the big event, controlling our selves and toasting a few folks who couldn't make it. We were having so much fun we failed to acknowledge the New Year's thru the time zones. One of our group brought up some favors so we got to look a little foolish with the hats and blow horns at the hour. Another of mtnsteve's friends showed up right before dark and she set up using Steve's light. This morning we were breaking camp by 10:30 or so, some of us left before Steve had finished packing but we had helped him tear down his Kiva and dismantle the wood stove that went in it and bury some of the wood in the snow he had brought up until he could retrieve it later. As is usually the case, today looked like it was going to be the nicest day out of the last 3 days.

I'll see if I can post some links to photos later as a number of people like to post there photos but I am old fashioned and cheap so I have to wait for the grocery/drug store to develop my disposable camera.:) and use up the last of the film.

Happy New Year!

Duane
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Happy New year Duane
Sounds like a really nice trip! I have not been to the Lassen area for years....I think it is such a beautiful and different area & would love to visit the area again one day..also want to get back to the Trinity Alps again.

How much snow is there? Tahoe does not have to much yet.
Thank you for posting your trip report..I sure enjoyed it

Still have not made it down to Trader Joes...I have heard it is very nice and they have a good selection.
Take care
Anita
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Here is a link to some of Theresa's photos http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/556774830ZifGje

mit, not much snow, at the most 15" crusty on top. I'm on the way to Lassen if you want to tag along with me on one of the numerous trips some of us do in the park, you would come right thru Quincy. Maria wants to go in in Feb. and we do some Summer trips. If you and some of your close friends/hiking buds want to come by I would be glad to go along.

Trader Joe's had a great selection of nature/organic goods. It is just at the other end of town. Funny, when I left, I noticed there were mostly SUV's and pickups out front.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice trip and photos! We did it in 2001 (going into 2002) with our snowboards. I have a sled now and can't wait to try it! We'll take the splitboards next time.

It was a long drive for us. Thanks for the TR! Glad to see they're still doing it!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Hi Cori. Half the group used sleds.

Here is mtnsteve's photos, I haven't viewed them yet. Later today if I get a chance. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/556759406xqDmxM
Piece of cake.
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Looks like fun!!! Very cool!