Lost Coast Out-and-Back

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lost Coast Out-and-Back

Post by vitaminC »

This was supposed to be a trip into the Trinity-Alps or some other mountainous area. Unfortunately we were in the midst of a lot of fires burning simultaneously, so we were essentially smoked out of the mountains. Given that we also wanted to be within a couple hours of Eureka when we finished, we decided to do an out-and-back along the Kings Range of the Lost Coast. I was a little apprehensive, but in the end this was an excellent trip. Not too much smoke, and lots of scenery that was- not surprisingly- quite different from my normal trips.

http://www.chrisrifephotography.com/Bac ... gust-2015/
----------------
Lots of photos
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lost Coast Out-and-Back

Post by rlown »

A very nice report! Fires are kind of driving everyone to new places to explore.

If you had a fishing license and the urchin was still alive, you missed out bigtime! One of my favorites. I always try and harvest some when I go abalone diving.

Thanks for sharing!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lost Coast Out-and-Back

Post by maverick »

Thanks Chris for posting this fun TR, and cool pictures. Miniature "Racetrack", good one. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org