Mt Shasta

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt Shasta

Post by Gazelle »

Mt Shasta 6/13/2015 solo from Bunny flat left 12:20am, summit 6:30am, bunny flat 10:00 am 9 hours 40 min 10.8 miles 7200 elevation gain, first one to summit that day not bad for first time! Very dark and only got off track once at the bottom. Very windy above Red banks to plateau above misery hill. Snow was still too firm to glissade on the way down Bummer! And yes my ass was kicked!
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
1004.jpg
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
1007.jpg
1008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Mt Shasta

Post by maverick »

Very cool, we did the same route the last time we did Shasta. I remember going up quite a while back, and while passing some folks, also heading up, they asked me where Helen Lake is, they were looking forward to staying at a lake overnight before summiting. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

That is funny! I had a few groups of guys want to follow me as I passed thinking I knew the way told them it was my 1st time and to follow other foot prints and stay between the ridges was surprised at the amount of light people had brought with them huge hand held flashlights but there was almost no moon. Beautiful stars and some shooting ones also!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Still considering coming to the Meet-up?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Yes just depends if I can get the week off have my route planned out very aggressive so may change once out there
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Yuberiver wrote:...my route planned out very aggressive...
More aggressive than usual? Kristine, you tear up the trail. I'm sure it would be a struggle for me to keep up with you. I would really love to summit Shasta in one day. That is quite an accomplishment.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice job. Bummer to be deprived of the pleasure of the famed glissade. I did the dayhike to the summit from Bunny Flat with my wife and friend in May 1992. We had the benefit of a bit more snow (more or less on snow all the way from Bunny Flat). Whereas the "toboggan run" was in fine shape for our descent in 1992 I was chagrined to find some fools eating lunch sitting in the middle of the glazed butt-glide chute. Of all the places to decide to have lunch... Seeing that I had a very nice runout above Helen Lake I had placed my ice axe in my back so it wouldn't get in my way. I was flying down the chute when I noticed this group sitting in the middle of the chute having lunch. I had to exit stage left airborne to avoid collision. It was amazing crash and burn without injury and I resumed the rest of the glide below.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Thank you Russ! It was quite a bummer not to glissade as hiking down was more painful than walking up, but to me that is always the case I wish I could just keeping going up all the time!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Maverick i did hear about that from the last 2 guys I passed it was quite firm the day I went and I am glad I am comfortable on such terrain! Also a lady was severely injured in the same area a few days later. Just goes to show that even a potentially easier route can kill, one needs to know ones limits and have the correct equipment and knowledge to do ANY peak!