Lost Coast 5/24-5/31 2015

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
andymorgosh
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lost Coast 5/24-5/31 2015

Post by andymorgosh »

Thanks for the great trip report. I had the opportunity to hike the Lost Coast with my dad and wife a couple years back and we had an absolutely wonderful time. The three of us picked up a combined total of one tick. Poison oak was also fairly prevalent along the trail, although none of us experienced a reaction. I'm not sure if dogs are allowed on the northern half of the trail, but you could definitely avoid ticks and poison oak by just hiking that section--it's an incredibly beautiful stretch.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Lost Coast 5/24-5/31 2015

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Dogs are allowed on BLM - Mattolle TH to the Sinkyone boundary. Dogs on leash allowed for day-hiking from Needle Rock (Sinkyone headquarters). Dogs on leash allowed south to Bear Harbor. After that no dogs allowed. North of Shelter Cove, is all BLM, dogs allowed. There is some rough rock hopping. Several dogs I saw on the route were wearing dog booties.

The state parks are becoming a bit more "dog friendly". Evidently the new director is more open to allowing dogs on trails. On a whole, CA state parks, especially Monteray south, do not allow dogs on any trails. The difference between state park and BLM is quite distinct. I really like how BLM operates - self registration, no quotas, very liberal "rules". However, quite contrary, BLM requires bear canisters and Sinkyone does not! There currently is a ranger who patrols BLM Lost Coast area who is very good- he has a web page and it has good information on it.