1st fishing of 2015

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

1st fishing of 2015

Post by oldranger »

65 degrees in Central Oregon in January? Nothing to do but go fishing. Packed up the boat headed down to Lake Billy Chinook. Marked fish as soon as we launched, never out of sight of boat launch, took a while to figure out what it took to get them to bite but finally got consistent hits with silver dodger with 1/4 oz. chartreuse z-ray fished at 50 feet. I bet the kokes have never seen a z-ray. Limit of little Kokes, almost embarrassing to keep but so tasty. Fried em up as soon as I got home. Kathy was happy. Happy wife means a happy life!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 1st fishing of 2015

Post by TahoeJeff »

Kokes are my absolute favorite fish to eat (no matter what size)! I'm jealous!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

nice report! how about a pic of the boat or the fish maybe?

Sounds like you're feeling better!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Like I said Russ the fish were so small it was embarrassing to keep them--so obviously no pics. Yeah I should have taken a picture or two during the day but when I am focused on fishing the camera seldom gets used.

I just took all the gear out of the boat in preparation to having my Riptide 70 bow mount trolling motor with I-Pilot installed. Given that process and jury duty the last 2 weeks of Feb I doubt I will get any more fishing in until March when the Metolious Arm of Lake Billy Chinook opens up and fishing for Bull trout gets serious and the kokanee are a couple inches longer!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Congrats on the good fishing so early in the year! I'm curious about fishing in the Metolius Arm of the lake. Is an Oregon license enough, or do you need to get a Warm Springs Res license as well? I've thought about fishing there for bulls, but I've heard conflicting stories on the licensing requirements. Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

FGD

You need Oregon Lic, Warmsprings lic, and Columbia Basin endorsement! For a resident that comes out to 77.50 for a full season, add salmon steelhead tag it is another $26.50. Plus a 2 rod validation--nice when trolling for both kokes and bulls or macks--17. So It costs me $121 to fish in Oregon. Then a non resident license in California will cost $126+, probably get one for Idaho to take the grandkids fishing--$98. To top it off I'm planning on a little fishing in Canada so who knows how much more I will end up spending.

mike
Mike

Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Hey Mike-

Thanks for the info. I've heard of the Oregon and Warm Springs licenses before, but what is this Columbia Basin Endorsement? How much do those run? I'm sure you're well aware that many states offer multiple day licenses for out of state folks. Idaho is one that I think is one of the more reasonable states, as far as number of days and the cost, which is relatively low. Wyoming is one of the worst at $14 a day. Pooh! I've bought fishing licenses in BC and Alberta in the past and both were a bit steep as well. Alberta you need to get a "WIN" card first ($5.00) and then you can buy a fishing license. BC was OK, but if you fish certain rivers like the Elk or the Wigwam, you have to buy a special tag for each day you want to fish those waters and those tags were more than the daily license itself. Ouch! Really friendly locals, positively stunning scenery and good fishing up there, though.

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice. I too am envious.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

FGD

The columbia Basin endorsement is $11.75 and is required for fishing for salmon, steelhead, or sturgeon in the Columbia and all of its tributaries.

Mike
Mike