Researchers puzzled by discovery of 1882 Winchester rifle

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Researchers puzzled by discovery of 1882 Winchester rifle

Post by rlown »

It was an interesting story so thought I'd share. At first I thought it might belong to OldRanger ;)
2c514fa1c07082026b0f6a706700200a.jpg
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Researchers are trying to crack the mystery surrounding the discovery of a weathered, rusted Winchester rifle in the mountains of remote eastern Nevada.

The gun manufactured in 1882 was found leaning against a juniper tree on a rocky outcrop in Great Basin National Park during an archaeological survey in November.

Nichole Andler, the park's chief of interpretation, said officials may never when the .44-40 rifle was placed there, but it's possible it could have been left undisturbed since the 1800s.

The area along the Utah border has a history of mining, ranching and hunting, she said, and park researchers are scouring historical documents to learn who might have owned the rifle.

"I would say the possibilities are wide open as to who owned the rifle and why it was left there," Andler said. "It leaves a lot to the imagination and it may be a mystery that's never solved."

Herbert Houze is the former curator of what became known as the Cody Firearms Museum at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyoming.

View galleryThis image provided by the Great Basin National Park …
This image provided by the Great Basin National Park shows a Winchester Model 1873 rifle found in Ne …
He said Winchester Model 1873 rifles such as the one found in Nevada were so valuable that he thinks whoever owned it leaned it against the tree and then was unable to find it.

"You just don't leave a gun like that there," he said.

The rifles, which sold for $35 to $50 in the 1880s, now can fetch up to $15,000 in excellent condition. They were among the most popular guns on the Western frontier.

After viewing photographs of the rifle, Houze said, he knows why it went undetected for so long: It blended in so well with its surroundings.

"People probably have walked right by it," he said. "It was a one in a million chance they looked at it the right way and found it."

The unloaded rifle's wooden stock was cracked but still intact, while its barrel was rusted. Its serial number was still visible, which allowed experts at the Buffalo Bill Center to determine it was made in 1882.
Full story at: http://news.yahoo.com/researchers-puzzl ... 02967.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Researchers puzzled by discovery of 1882 Winchester rifl

Post by gary c. »

Very cool story. I would think it more likely that the owner sat it down and then something happened him. Seems to me the owner would not leave it and venture very far and sure as heck never quit looking for it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray