File a hiking plan? OR post on Facebook?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

File a hiking plan? OR post on Facebook?

Post by balzaccom »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A badly injured California hiker stranded on a remote trail was located by a quick-thinking dispatch trainee using Facebook after a 911 distress call got cut off, authorities said Wednesday.
Ryan Pritchard, 41, was hiking Sunday afternoon with his sons Jake, 11, and Devon, 18, in the rugged Putah Creek State Wildlife Area near Lake Barryessa, about 30 miles east of his Sacramento home, when he slipped on a loose rock and fell 150 feet down a cliff and landed in a tree.

Since Devon had already gone ahead to their car to return gear, little brother Jake went down the cliff, got his father’s cell phone and called 911, reaching the California Highway Patrol dispatcher. But the call was disconnected before he could give an accurate location and efforts to call again failed.

"Because it was in our jurisdiction, they relayed it to us,” said Deputy Daryl Snedeker, spokesman for the Solano County Sheriff’s Department. “Our dispatchers took the information and began to work together to try to determine where the subject was.”

The cell phone coordinates got them no closer than a cell tower in the city of Vacaville, some 30 miles from where the hikers were. Then a dispatch trainee, Breanna Martinez, got an idea.

“She’s a younger person, so the social media was the first thing that came to her mind,” said Snedeker. “She went to Google, as everyone does these days, and Googled the guy’s name.”

Google took Martinez to Ryan Pritchard’s LinkedIn page, which then led her to his Facebook page.

“I scrolled down and the very first post was a picture of his two sons and behind him was the lake — Lake Berryessa,” Martinez told CBS Sacramento. “And it just said, ‘Hiking the Blue Ridge Trail today.’”

That was all the information the dispatchers needed. A CHP rescue helicopter crew found the trail, plucked Ryan from the tree and got him to UC Davis Medical Center all before darkness, said Snedeker.

Ryan was being treated for several fractured bones, a head injury and a broken jaw, his family told CBS Sacramento.

“I am really impressed by this. I’m so proud of them, taking the initiative and solving the problem,” said the dispatchers’ boss, Solano County Sheriff Tom Ferrara. “And if you have to come up with a new way of doing it, that’s just outstanding.”
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: File a hiking plan? OR post on Facebook?

Post by rlown »

Again, beyond the Sierra. Creative, but a paper trail is always better than an internet trail. Just lucky on this one. I turn off my gps on the phone because it sucks juice. Only when plugged in or i need gps is it on for the phone.

No facebook login for me. I don't trust them. guess it's nice he did.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

Sounds like the area lived up to its name..........
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

What's wrong with "AND"? A hiking plan can consist of merely an e-mail link to facebook or whatever social media page you have your itinerary stashed. Just posting on facebook, I think doesn't go far enough. Somebody expecting you home should know it is there and exactly where it is. Perhaps this was the case here, but the agency person found it herself and saved some valuable time.

I keep my detailed itinerary on CalTopo. I attach a ReConn form in .pdf to an e-mail along with a link to the CalTopo map and details of my plans and telephone number of Sheriff's dept. etc., then send the e-mail to my wife, children and sister. The e-mail can be forwarded as is to the Sheriff if need be. My children have instructions that if anything should happen to their mother while I'm gone, they are to contact my sister who will contact the Sheriff to decide whether I need to be contacted or not.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of us look at that latter half of the coin?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:I keep my detailed itinerary on CalTopo. I attach a ReConn form in .pdf to an e-mail along with a link to the CalTopo map and details of my plans and telephone number of Sheriff's dept. etc., then send the e-mail to my wife, children and sister. The e-mail can be forwarded as is to the Sheriff if need be. My children have instructions that if anything should happen to their mother while I'm gone, they are to contact my sister who will contact the Sheriff to decide whether I need to be contacted or not.
I like that approach. That is not just about luck; that's about planning ahead with instructions to actual people who know what to do! =D>