Napa County Waterfall - Zim Zim Falls

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Napa County Waterfall - Zim Zim Falls

Post by Vaca Russ »

My puppies needed to get outside yesterday. So I took them for a local hike just north of Berryessa.

When I first got my girls I couldn't drive a block without their tummies getting upset. They are getting to be really good in the truck, but the long curvy drive managed to upset their stomachs of steel. They did make it all the way to Pope Creek! :puke: (Thanks for sharing this TMI, Russ!) :rolleyes:

I read on the internet that Zim Zim Falls is 100 feet high, so it must be true. :nod:

You run into an old hunting structure about a third of the way into the hike.
1.JPG
The trail crosses the stream 9 times before you get to the falls.
2.JPG
I ran into a few of these newts along the trail.
3.JPG
The trail splits at this pink rock. The left cross countries to the base of the falls. The right takes you above the falls.
4 pink rock.JPG
This is the first view of the falls.
5 first falls.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
I climbed up the ridge to get to the top of the falls. I had an unpleasant hike through thick mud to get to the top of the falls.
8 feet.JPG
I didn't get any decent pictures above the falls, so I headed below the falls.
9.JPG
I saw a lot of wildlife...quail, turkeys, deer and newts. It is difficult to get good pictures, but I did manage to shoot this big buck!
10.JPG
I have a video. I'm still a rookie editor, but I think I'm getting a little better. :p

http://vimeo.com/115107304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for reading my post!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Napa County Waterfall - Zim Zim Falls

Post by austex »

Thx Russ. A good banjo soundtrack too. A bit dizzying at first....Good job keep it up. Liked the newt close ups. Innovative!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Napa County Waterfall - Zim Zim Falls

Post by rlown »

nice video, Russ. A week earlier from the looks of the stream banks that would have been a different hike. lil' floaties on the girls with anchors required. :) I have a floatie for Bubba because I know for a fact that he sinks.

At least the girls are loyal. My terrier would have just run away, and on that spot above the falls, he would have jumped!

thanks for sharing.