Ugly fish story

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Ugly fish story

Post by oldranger »

Last month Kathy and I had grandparent duty in Boise. One day my 5 year old grandson did not have school so I took him trout fishing for planters. Idaho Fish and Game plants several ponds and the Boise river quite heavily so we always catch fish. This day we fished the Boise River where it passes Boise State University. We fish with worm and bobbers so we missed quite a few strikes because we were striking back quickly to avoid having the fish swallow the hook and having to keep them. We caught just two, having to keep one. Then we moved to a nearby pond that had two fishing docks. We shared our dock with a non english speaking chinese man. Just as we were set up Kadin noticed the man's rod twitching, the man was working on his other rod (two are legal with an added permit, though I think he had an additional hand line as well.) At any rate we yelled at him and he began to reel in and it soon became clear that this was not an 11 inch planter. When it got close and we could see him Kadin yelled his usual "Holy macaroni!" it was a large carp, much larger than the mini net the man had. I grabbed the net and after several passes the man led the carp into the net. He was quite proud and took several pics soon more Chinese folks arrived and more pictures taken. We managed 3 more trout for dinner and happily shared the dock until it was time to leave. It too late by then too pick up the promised ice cream but Kadin didn't mind too much. I can't wait to take Kadin and his brother Kokanee fishing next June. Imagine a 6 year old and 4 year old and an old man with 3 fish on at once! It should be a real circus!
1carp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldranger on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ugly fish story

Post by markskor »

Nice read Grampa!
Yes, eagerly await your "Koke Circus" fiasco report come next June.

Good to know that as your long-time trout fishing buddy, I can be so easily replaced by a non-English-speaking, Chinese, bait-dunking, Carp-wrangler... and/or your five-year-old grandson. Can see your point though, either one (or both) would probably be a better choice for a fishing companion.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mark

Kadin doesn't cook! But he won' take as much room in the boat, either.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

did they keep the fish?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ

Oh yeah! I'm sure it was destined for multiple meals.

Mike
Mike

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yum.. :puke:

I know.. lots of garlic.. some ginger. hot sauce. noodles and broth, with scallions as a last minute touch.

Still going to taste muddy.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

for future carp recipe reference:

Citrus Carp: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/citrus-carp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

European carp??: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/cr ... eafood.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And from Texas F&W: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... ipes.phtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still gonna taste muddy. (yes, i had to look some up.) go with the citrus..