Wind River Trip

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
mtncanyon
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Wind River Trip

Post by mtncanyon »

My attempt to traverse the Wind River Mtns along the west side of the divide was cut short due to the weather. After three days of rain with very little sun and trails under water I decided to save the southern winds for another trip. It was still an incredible adventure with the highlights being the valley above Peak Lake, crossing Knapsack Col and Titcomb Basin. I spent a rest day there and explored Indian Basin a bit, going off trail, The next day, despite the weather and originally deciding against it that morning, I headed up Wall Island Pass. I made it down although I came down farther north than i should have and found myself traversing through lots of wet thicket and bogs.
Navigating along Wall Lake was also a challenge for me,esp in the rain since I had a heavy pack and the granite slabs were slippery. I went much higher than I probably had to, so I could get around the lake.
I descended the next day to Horseshoe Lake, much lower than I had planned but due to the weather I aborted my plan to stay high. For me the constant rain, cool temps and poor trail conditions made off trail travel undesireable. I hoped at a minimum to make it to Big Sandy via low trails or, if the weather improved to up to North Fork Lake and make it into the Cirque of the Towers. I didnt even consider my original plan of going over Raid, Bonnyville. The next day started wet and didnt look promising so I headed to Boulder Lake, GPS showed it only 6miles from Horseshoe but it was much longer. It was practically deserted but soon after arriving I found a very kind couple who drove me all the way into Pinedale, 25 miles away.
Even in the rain, mist and mud the Winds had an appeal to them. It was a true adventure for me and I did get some great shots when the weather was nice. Pls check my photos out if you would like..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8482199@N ... 895812421/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Wind River Trip

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As you can see from my other post, I too bailed out of my last 7-day trip in the Winds. The weather is still very unsettled and cold. I am busy unpacking, but will take a look at your photos soon. Glad you got out OK.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wind River Trip

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and the photo's. Beautiful place, and all that rain really has
wildflower popping. Would love to see the wildflowers a little closer in that meadow
in "Three Fork Park" shot, and "Green River" really is green from that glacier run-off.
How were the mosquitoes?
So the Winds have there own Knapsack Col. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org