If youre a Californian, you'll recognize this

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

If youre a Californian, you'll recognize this

Post by Timberline »

A friend of mine sent me a link to some incredible photos taken during 1939-43 that were originally slides. All of them were unique; this one was my favorite, for no other reason that the story it tells about California, including, indirectly, the Sierra. Here's the fine print:
Shasta dam under construction.
California, June 1942.
Reproduction from color slide.
Photo by Russell Lee.
Prints and Photographs Division,
Library of Congress
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: If youre a Californian, you'll recognize this

Post by rlown »

should be able to clean out the silt behind it this year, unfortunately. But they won't. They should be doing that on all the low dams adding capacity for the future.

Nice Pic!. I love dam construction photos. Huell Howser did a nice piece on Shasta dam.

Had a picture posted of one of my favorite local fishing lakes (Indian Valley Res). Known for Bass, Koke's and crappie. 60' trees in the middle of the lake with just the tops sticking out. It has a 10mph speed limit, so no skiers.

The 60' trees are naked. no water. Res is at 10% and closed other than hiking. :(
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/gallery/ga ... 09996.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's going to be a tough water year, everywhere.
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Timberline »

Thanks, rlown, for the added perspective. This is going to be another telling water year it seems.
In light of current drought conditions, I wondered, after Shasta was finished, just what percent, in years, the dam operated at capacity, i.e., a full lake behind it. Less than 75%? Seems possible. If so, how MUCH less than that? Anybody know?
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Your questions about the dam may be answered among the references at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shasta_Dam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just because you posted this, i watched Huell's show again :) I have all of them saved on the DVR.

The lake was a foot from full in '83. They opened the boards on the top then to both lower the volume to a safe level and flush the floating stuff from the gates. The interview said they've only done that 3 times.

Anyway..