Hammock Lovers

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Hammock Lovers

Post by maverick »

Those of you who enjoy your hammocks might have to share when you get
back to camp, if in Florida. :lol:
http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/06/02 ... annel=1004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Hammock Lovers

Post by gary c. »

He must have been a side sleeper too. He only lasted 15-20mins. ;)
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I sleep on my side most of the night in the hammock... he's not in a camping hammock, that's all.

You can always tell the non hammockers - they fall for the myths every time. You'll be cold, can't sleep on your side, etc. Nope. Sorry.
SouthMark
Topix Novice

Post by SouthMark »

AlmostThere wrote:I sleep on my side most of the night in the hammock... he's not in a camping hammock, that's all.

You can always tell the non hammockers - they fall for the myths every time. You'll be cold, can't sleep on your side, etc. Nope. Sorry.
Yep so true. What gets me is when tent campers chime in with advice when someone has a question about hammock camping.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

as only 1 has posted a pic of a hammock setup here, my perception of a hammock setup is what i saw the skipper and Gilligan do on "Gilligan's Island".

So, It would be nice to see what the Hammock Lovers do when they set up their hammocks and how do you find trees the right width apart or what do you do above treeline.

Tent guy.. :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I don't find trees the right length apart - the suspension adjusts, so anything between 15 feet and 30 feet apart works. And long straps let me get the sugar pines in play.

If it were easier to post pictures, I might do that. All my pictures are more than a megabyte and it's going to take too long to process them smaller... then I also have to go back through 20,000+ shots of hiking trips and find the ones with hammocks in them. So maybe when I have more than five minutes at a shot to glance at the forum.
SouthMark
Topix Novice

Hammock Lovers

Post by SouthMark »

If you want to see pics of hammock set ups and get some real world info just go to HammockForums.net.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Well, yes - but sending someone to Hammockforums for an intro is like handing them Encyclopedia Brittanica volumes a-z to introduce them to the platypus. Have fun finding what you're actually looking for.

I might be able to carve out half an hour later today.