A few photos from a weekend hike in Lassen

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
revhobo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

A few photos from a weekend hike in Lassen

Post by revhobo »

Pretty and easy hike on Brokeoff Mountain, and beautiful and extremely windy hike on Lassen Peak. The second one would have been quite easy, but the wind was reaching 40-50 mph, and wanted to knock me off my feet. Combined with some ice and hard, frozen snow on the trail it wasn't too difficult ;). Good hiking poles helped keep the balance. I owe it to my winter handband (with earwarmers :D) that I kept my sunglasses on all the way. The headband kept them on real tight.

As we were descending, the wind lessened considerably and it warmed up a bit. Perhaps we were hiking too early in the morning, and it is a normal weather pattern. It was still gorgeous.

Pix are here
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice photos! Its been about 15 years since I hiked Lassen. Beautiful area! That bottle is almost empty! :unibrow:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Nice shots. Never been to Lassen, although its on the long list of places to visit. From your photos it looks like an amazing place.
revhobo
Topix Acquainted

Post by revhobo »

trailblazer wrote:From your photos it looks like an amazing place.
It is also very remote. The town closest to the trailheads is Mineral, pop. 90 (10 miles). There is a lodge there, but it is also possible to rent a 3-Bdrm apartment there for not much more than a room in the lodge. However, if I was going for a few days, I would seriously consider staying in Chester, pop. 2,300, which is 30 miles away from the trailheads (and is the second closest town to the Park). Mineral shuts down at 20:00, and there is absolutely nothing to do. If you decide to stay at the lodge, make sure you at least have an electric kettle in your car with you, so you can make a cup of tea or coffee in the evening.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Chester is closer to the trailheads in the SE part of the Park and the Caribou Wilderness.

The NE corner of the Park has some real bizarre geology and has fewer people on the trails (usually). Several large burns in the central and eastern areas show vegetative recovery over time.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

We like it quiet in this neck of the woods. We can dip our snuff, smoke our cigarettes and drink our beer for entertainment. :unibrow:
Piece of cake.
revhobo
Topix Acquainted

Post by revhobo »

hikerduane wrote:We like it quiet in this neck of the woods. We can dip our snuff, smoke our cigarettes and drink our beer for entertainment. :unibrow:
Well, one of the locals in Mineral told us with absolutely straight face when asked what they did for entertainment there, "well, we have hangings on Friday... you missed it". :unibrow:

The area is gorgeous, no doubt. I am thinking hiking there in the winter might be fun, but one would have to prepare well.
revhobo
Topix Acquainted

Post by revhobo »

dave54 wrote:Chester is closer to the trailheads in the SE part of the Park and the Caribou Wilderness.
True. I meant the Lassen Peak trailhead.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

A bunch of us from another group do snow trips in the winter in the Park, at least two it seems.
Piece of cake.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Nice pics! :) Cottonwood 5th graders summit Lassen on school field trips each year. :cool: