A Close to Summer

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
ChasingRainbows
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A Close to Summer

Post by ChasingRainbows »

IMG_0992.JPG
I decided that one last fishing trip was in order before the official close of summer, so during the week before Labor Day I headed out on a road trip across a portion of CA which I had not yet seen. Other than one well-known fishery, all of the waters I fished are relatively uncelebrated. No Blue Ribbon fisheries on this trip. Some spots I had heard of from fishing buddies or the locals that I spoke to, others just looked like a good spot to wet a line. Most importantly, I had the chance to explore some less-traveled regions of CA.

I spent Friday afternoon and evening float tubing in a beautiful setting, making offerings to some fairly particular fish. After finding a few patterns which seemed to do the trick, I was able to land a number of nice browns and rainbows. The lake is a fairly popular destination, so when it started to get a bit too crowded on Saturday morning, I packed up and headed on my way.
P8230006.JPG
P8230014.JPG
Over the course of the next few days, I had a chance to float tube a number of different lakes and to fish countless streams and creeks. I only ran into four other fisherman, all fly fisherman. They were relatively tight-lipped, as I sometimes am, but one of them made it known that "if you find a stream around here which doesn't have trout, you've done something impressive." After fishing every gutter stream and trickle of water I came across, I am inclined to believe him. At one point I ran across an almost unbelievably perfect heart pattern eroded into a small boulder, which was filled with water and red algae. I thought that it was picture-worthy.
P8270087.JPG
P8270078.JPG
P8270069.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
P8290146.JPG
At the end of the week I stopped off at a nice little lake on the way home to chase some sunfish and smallmouth. I wasn't disappointed, and I was even rewarded with a new species which I had never caught on my flyrod, a beautiful... bullhead.
P9010219.JPG
P9010190.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A Close to Summer

Post by rlown »

A very nice report!

The heart was very interesting.

Now, I have to ask you. Where you get special printing on your retrieve netting for inches that are shorter than a normal inch? :D Just kidding.

Very nice.

russ