Trip report - Circuit trek in Torres del Paine NP, Patagonia

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip report - Circuit trek in Torres del Paine NP, Patag

Post by SirBC »

wildhiker wrote:They had the "cook only in the designated shelter" rule when we were there in 2014, too. I think it was because of the fire danger. Because it is usually so windy, the vegetation dries out quickly after any rain, and any little spark or ember can start a fire. I believe that the big fire in 2012 was caused by a campfire that got away.
-Phil
Yeah, they had a number of fires over a few short years. That last one at the end of 2011 that was so devastating was caused by a camper that was burning toilet paper ](*,) .

Jartelt, thanks for the great TR and amazing photos. Looks like you had a mix of weather, which considering how terrible the weather there can be you have to be thankful that you were able to see your fair share of blue skies. I was there in 2015 and on the Argentina side we had nothing but socked in clouds for five straight days where you couldn't even see Fitz Roy. The Chilean side treated us better but we had almost no wind and I was really hoping for some crazy wave action on the lakes. Next time...
-------------
Dave | flickr
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Great report - I read your blog - it is the best "guidebook" of current conditions that I have seen! Very helpful. I am seriously considering this trip myself, as part of a longer trip to Argentina with my husband. Something for me to do while he does immersion language classes. He does his class, I do the trek, then we go to Mendoza and drink wine!
jartelt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jartelt »

Backpacking in Torres del Paine and then wine tasting in Mendoza sounds like a great plan! There were plenty of people on the trail when we went, so I am sure you could easily find some friends along the trail if you are hiking alone. Best of luck planning - I hope you are able to make it happen!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Let me know if you want wine advice, Daisy. Remember that in Mendoza the wineries are pretty far apart---you'll probably need a car to get around. But Mendoza isn't that far from Aconcagua...if you are looking for a hike!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963