Ham Radio MountainTopping | High Sierra Topix  

Ham Radio MountainTopping

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!

Re: Ham Radio MountainTopping

Postby rlown » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks, Shawn. very helpful. So my GMRS radio should be able to use certain channels to maybe hit a repeater if i'm in the appropriate proximity?

russ

rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ham Radio MountainTopping

Postby Shawn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Well, sort of. If you have a GMRS radio already, you likely know that the GMRS repeaters are mostly private and/or a paid for affair. I have heard that there are some freebie GMRS repeaters but don't know what kind of "baggage" they come with.

While I haven't checked to be sure, I think the number of available ham repeaters would far exceed the number of available GMRS repeaters (hams are nerds and will put a radio wherever possible).

Given these circumstances, I would think the opportunity to actually communicate when needed would be seriously restricted to a few if any.

You can see where this is leading Russ, getting a ham license is pretty easy these days and cost about 10 bucks. :D
Shawn
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to Other Wicked Sierra Nevada Sports