Ham Radio MountainTopping

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ham Radio MountainTopping

Post by kd6swa »

Was wondering if any Mountain Climbers were Ham radio operators. Would like to know if you've packed a rig or QRP rig and worked from any of the high peaks.

KD6SWA
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Ham Radio MountainTopping

Post by austex »

In theory it could work if the right wattage,favorable atmospheric conditions and or a repeater is within reach. I'm not a ham but have an interest.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

QRZ... ;)

DE WB6JWB here. I've brought my HT along a few times into the Sierra. Mostly out of curiosity to see if any machines were within reach. Oddly, on most occasions I could get into one or more repeaters when I really had no expectation for doing so.

If I hike the local hills (San Luis Obsipo/Monterey counties) I'll bring it for safety sake.
sciaticnve
Topix Novice

Post by sciaticnve »

Hey,
KK6BRW here, I usually take along my Yaesu FT60, I carry it along when the wife and I are snowshoeing. I took it out on an over nighter off of leavitt meadows, no luck hitting the repeaters, I was going to take along a slim Jim antenna and some 550 cord but forgot to pack it.

Cheers!
Elliott
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

is there a repeater map? Just wondering. What does it cost and what does it weigh to carry some of this equipment of which you speak?

An interesting topic!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

There are various websites with repeater listings, some more accurate than others.

Here is one example:
http://www.repeaterbook.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The hand held radios can actually be very light weight and inexpensive. There's been a surge in Chinese made radios recently that can be bought for 50 bucks or less. Of course it's a "you get what you pay for situation.

The hand held I use has military specs protecting it from the weather and water and so forth, so while it costs a bit more it'll last much longer when taken out doors.

You can learn more about ham radio at http://www.arrl.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or of course many other websites.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

This is a great thread! Ham brings back some fond memories for me. My grandfather has been gone for more than 15 years now, but I still remember his signal - KA6LGL. I used to watch him for hours on end tinkering with his radio equipment. I was fascinated by it.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted

Post by kd6swa »

Hello Eric,
I have been at it over 20 years. Didn't know of your Dad ( guys know call signs better than names!)
but sounds like he enjoyed the Hobby.
Altitude gives you an advantage and you would be amazed at what you can do with low power if you have a good spot like the top of a mountain!

KD6SWA
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I used to listen to much radio as my dad fixed avionics.Had access to aviation,ham and short wave.
I learned to install telephones in the 80's from "KI6ZJ' in SoCal listening to the chatter on "435" machine as we drove between service calls. He now has a shortened call as he has a more advanced license. From what I understand it's very easy to get a simple license now; no morse code required!
Heck a "Grandpa Archie" from the airport where my dad had his business was a MARS guy with a huge antenna in his yard. Actually had a morse code key hooked up on his desk. VERY old school.
Here in Tx there are quite a few hams. Eyes and ears of wicked weather here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

OK.. let's make this simple.

When in the Sierra, what gear do you carry and what repeaters are you trying to hit when you do? What does it weigh? thanks for the map pointers, but..