4x4 ? about the Hwy 80/ Donner area

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
Jedi5150
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

4x4 ? about the Hwy 80/ Donner area

Post by Jedi5150 »

Hello all, I'm not familiar with the 4x4 roads in Tahoe National Forest. Most of my "off-roading" has been at OHV parks like Hollister Hills. I saw some roads on the map that I'd like to check out that are near Castle Peak, off Hwy 80 right near the Boreal exit. Can anyone just go out and drive on these forest service roads, or do you need some sort of permit or something?

I was actually considering using these roads as a jump off point for a short backpacking trip. I figured parking the truck on a dirt forest service road might be safer from evil-doers than in a parking lot at the PCT trailhead. What are your thoughts on that?

Any advice would be appreciated. lastly, where would be the best spot to get a campfire permit for this area? If I understand correctly a regular backcountry wilderness permit is not required in this part of Tahoe National Forest...is that correct?

Thanks.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 4x4 ? about the Hwy 80/ Donner area

Post by rlown »

You can drive on any of those roads unless gated or posted otherwise. Might not want to do that from mid September through end of hunting season, as you won't be alone. I would wear lots of orange during those times.

All you would need is a campfire permit, and depending on where you live, check out http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the closest permit station.

Not necessarily 4x4 related, but there's a Hut up there; 2 story also with a 2 story outhouse. We stumbled on it one winter when were were backcountry skiing (before the internet). You can read about Peter Grubb Hut at: http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodge ... grubb.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jedi5150
Topix Novice

Post by Jedi5150 »

Thanks Russ, I'd heard of Peter Grubb hut from a great book that I found the hike in, called, "Sierra North: Backcountry trips in California's Sierra Nevada". That is where I came up with the idea for the hike.

I'll get the campfire permit on the way up at the Auburn CDF station. Thanks for the info on the roads. I'm still not sure whether it would be safer for the truck to be parked in a parking lot or on the side of a remote service road. I'll probably just have to check it out when I get there. If there is still snow on the service roads it may be a moot point anyways.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

rlown wrote:Not necessarily 4x4 related, but there's a Hut up there; 2 story also with a 2 story outhouse.
A 2 story outhouse? Ummm, I'll use the upper level, thank-you-verymuch :D
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

bheiser1 wrote:
rlown wrote:Not necessarily 4x4 related, but there's a Hut up there; 2 story also with a 2 story outhouse.
A 2 story outhouse? Ummm, I'll use the upper level, thank-you-verymuch :D
You don't have to worry.. It was designed correctly.. It's tall because of the snow depth potential. It would really suck to have to dig down 10' just to get into the outhouse.. #-o

It's really a great winter spot. Not too far in; lots of bowls to ski in; stay at the Hut or not as well.
kingofthemountains
Topix Novice

Post by kingofthemountains »

im going out there to visit a family friend there sometime this year, are these roads you are talking about just fire roads or good OHV trails.