Bluff Road Near Bass Lake?

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Bluff Road Near Bass Lake?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Looking for a road up near Bass Lake that I was on. A bit sketchy, but damn beautiful.

I went up yesterday to clean up the Soquel and Texas Flat Campgrounds that were left in a disaster. Never seen things so bad before. Wanted to get them cleaned up before the snow came in.

After leaving Texas Flat I turned on the GPS to see where it'd go. I know it's not the brightest thing to do in the mountains, but I was up for a bit of an adventure on the way out, and I pretty much got it.

I believe it made me stay on 6S11 for most of the way, but I think I got off at some point, just after passing another campground where there's a bridge to cross the one creek. The turn it literally just after that bridge I want to say.

From there you climb up through the mountain, towards Silver Mountain, and have a canyon right below of you. At some point you are probably a good 200ft or more above the canyon with the creek running through it. My Toyota 4Runner was just small enough to make it on the road. The road was extremely tight, and at one point thought I was going to scrape the side of the truck to ensure I wouldn't roll off. This section is short, probably 100ft if that, but it's definitely a bit nerve wracking.

I want to say my GPS called the road, bluff or bluffing road. After that section, you're probably a good 3 miles from 6S10 to head back down towards Sky Ranch.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Trying to figure out if I just went through a shortcut, a road meant only for hiking or what. Not sure I'd drive it again, but definitely would like to go back to take some pics. Also would like to know any history if there is any.

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bluff Road Near Bass Lake?

Post by rlown »

can you post your GPS tracks?
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

It was through my cars GPS, I don't even know how to figure that out, if it's at all possible.

Regardless I finally figured it out after some Google Earth looking. Road is 6S11X.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

What did the "X" mean?
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

rlown wrote:What did the "X" mean?
I'm not sure if that's a legitimate question, or kind of pointing out I should know roads with "x" mean they're rough or dangerous lol.

I would assume the X really means nothing as I've been on 6S10X multiple times and don't recall areas like that.