Floating Lower Owens River

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
elsbree
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Floating Lower Owens River

Post by elsbree »

Hey all, not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but I'll be passing through Bishop in a few weekends and was hoping to spend an afternoon floating part of the Owens River near town. Beyond acknowledging that floating the Owens is a fun pastime, I can't find much in the way of details on the ol' web. I was thinking of picking up an innertube and some beers and starting my float from Line Street. I'd take out about two miles down the river near the ponds. Given the winding nature of the river I'm assuming that will take me the better part of an afternoon.

I'd love any tips on river conditions or the feasibility of such a float. I totally get that people are probably reluctant to post stuff like that publicly, so feel free to DM me if you feel like sharing. If not, I've got a lot of river experience and I'm ready for an adventure :)
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Floating Lower Owens River

Post by SSSdave »

The Owens River from below the Pleasant Valley Dam to many miles south of Bishop is a truly amazing meandering river viewed on Google Earth that few in the public are aware of outside fly fishermen and locals as it is out of sight, out of mind and not where people expect trout to be out in the hot valley. Chalk Bluffs dirt road.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

The flows are currently 318 CFS, so you might get to your destination a bit faster than you anticipate.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

elsbree wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:11 pm Hey all, not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but I'll be passing through Bishop in a few weekends and was hoping to spend an afternoon floating part of the Owens River near town. Beyond acknowledging that floating the Owens is a fun pastime, I can't find much in the way of details on the ol' web. I was thinking of picking up an innertube and some beers and starting my float from Line Street. I'd take out about two miles down the river near the ponds. Given the winding nature of the river I'm assuming that will take me the better part of an afternoon.

I'd love any tips on river conditions or the feasibility of such a float. I totally get that people are probably reluctant to post stuff like that publicly, so feel free to DM me if you feel like sharing. If not, I've got a lot of river experience and I'm ready for an adventure :)
So typically in my many past experiences floating the owens, it typically takes around 2-3 hours to float from Line street to the rope swing which is usually where everyone gets out from the float. The flow of the river is controlled but I would say plan for a 3 hour float from line street to the rope swing and you should be fine. Let us know how it goes, I haven't done a float on the owens in quite some time but it is still my favorite river to float. :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.