A Taste of Winter or just Fall! Major Changes Coming

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
mammothsnowman
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

A Taste of Winter or just Fall! Major Changes Coming

Post by mammothsnowman »

Looking at the weather things might get more intresting then just a cool down and a wind storm.

This just in from the NWS: LONG TERM...FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY...
MODELS CONTINUE TO AGREE ON DEEP TROUGH OVER THE WEST COAST FRIDAY ALTHOUGH THERE ARE SOME DIFFERENCES STARTING TO COME UP. LATEST 12Z GFS IS DEEPER AND FURTHER SOUTH FRIDAY EVENING AS THE TROUGH AXIS MOVES OVER THE AREA. THIS POSITION OF THE LOW BRINGS A MUCH MORE FAVORABLE OVER-WATER TRAJECTORY WITH A 140 KT JET MAX NOSING INTO THE CENTRAL SIERRA FRIDAY NIGHT WHICH WOULD GENERATE SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION OVER THE AREA. FOR NOW GOING TO CONTINUE WITH ONLY LIGHT SHOWERS AS THIS IS THE FIRST MODEL RUN TO SHOW THE CHANGE.

Could we be setting up for a September Snowfall Surprise! Back Country travelers stay tuned!!!

Read more here:
http://www.mammoth-snowman.com/mammoth- ... ather.html
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I noticed it was a lot cooler this weekend. Thanks for the report! :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

It was definitly chilly this morning. I could not get myself to tap into my wood supply. too much work invested, and it just seems too early for a fire. Mammoth will probably get a dusting. :nod:
wingding

Post by wingding »

It was chilly in Mineral King this weekend, but it's still 100 degrees in Redlands. In my 20 years in Southern California I have not been through a hotter summer than this one - I hate it. Not only has it been over 100 degrees (and sometimes over 110 degrees) most days since the end of June, it has also been humid.