Snowboarding in August?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snowboarding in August?

Post by hikerduane »

On my vacation by Mammoth a couple weeks ago, I ran across a very young lady who has been snowboarding a little this summer on the mountain and she has been hiking into the wilderness to hit a few patches in different country also. I hiked with her a few minutes talking about topo maps and how she was learning about nature. She was looking to find a route up to a small lake that showed on the topo map she had and which had no marked trail to it. I wasn't much help since as an old geezer I was just enjoying the company, but ended up saying good bye after a few minutes since I had an 5 hour drive to get home that day. Anyway, I mentioned to her, since she hit Mammoth alot in the winter if she had seen a short gal, pig tails who boarded quite a bit. After a minute she said, did she dress up in a grass skirt? I said yes and laughed. Since I have been on a snow camping trip this last spring with Snow Nymph and a couple other folks here, I knew we were talking about the same person. Small world. Funny.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Wearing grass skirts on the slope makes one stand out! :D

This vacation, I've met a few people on the trail that recognized me. I talked to a guy on the Whitney trail, and as he walked the other way, I heard him tell his friend on the radio "hey dude, I just talked to Snow Nymph". I smiled.

After a 5 day backpack we were driving from the South Lake parking lot and I heard something so I looked in the rear view mirror. Two guys and a dog were waving arms and running after us so I stopped. It was Clemspal, his friend Mark and Clementine (I recognized her from his pics), from webshots. He saw my license plate and wanted to say hi.

And after our 3 day backpack, I met Rosabella! She just finished the JMT, and asked if I was Cori/Snow Nymph. It was nice meeting her!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

There's a group of people that snowboard all year long. They hike (usually Sonora Pass) every other week during the summer to ski/board. I tried it last Oct, but the conditions weren't great. Tie Dye Bill has been doing this for something like 12 consecutive years now (they count the months, where I count weeks). :retard:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I used to think (hit me) that you posted too much, but after meeting you and getting to talk to you last Spring at Mosquito Flat I realized that you are a pretty neat, niffty, cool, sweet, young lady. You attract people with your perpetual smile and friendliness and folks want to get close to you. Glad to have met you SN. Those old guys who showed up also were good company too.:)
Piece of cake.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

Hey, who're you calling old??? :)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

hikerduane wrote:I used to think (hit me) that you posted too much, but after meeting you and getting to talk to you last Spring at Mosquito Flat I realized that you are a pretty neat, niffty, cool, sweet, young lady. You attract people with your perpetual smile and friendliness and folks want to get close to you. Glad to have met you SN. Those old guys who showed up also were good company too.:)

:threaten: j/k! :D

I'm a lurker on a lot of other sites. I usually don't have time to think about what I'm typing so I just don't do it. Except here. :nod: But I really spend way too much time on the internet reading about what's going on, where I want to go next and planning the next trip.

hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I about ran out of things to buy for bping so now I don't know where to spend my time on the computer. :crybaby: Not much on TV, and on the weekends when I am at home, I don't have my dish hooked up anymore.
Piece of cake.