Overnight ski huts near Tahoe/Truckee

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Overnight ski huts near Tahoe/Truckee

Post by oleander »

Hi,

I understand there are several (4?), inexpensive overnight ski huts near Tahoe - maybe all just north of Tahoe.

Does anyone have a favorite? (In terms of the beauty of the route there, and/or which hut is nicest.) I realize we're talking very rustic huts.

Open to other westside Sierra huts, too. I know about the ones at Ostrander Lake and Pear Lake.

- Elizabeth
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overnight ski huts near Tahoe/Truckee

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

The only one I know of is the Peter Grubb hut, which is north of 80 near the summit/crest. It's pretty rustic, true, and not too hard to get to, but uphill the whole way, perhaps 1.5 to 2 miles in.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

Hi Elizabeth,

How about the Crystal Basin by Loon Lake? It is closer to you. There is the Loon Lake Chalet and Rob's Hut. There is also another one, too. :)

Check your PM.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Hi Chuck,

I have heard of Crystal Basin as a snowshoeing destination, but I had no idea where it is. Worth checking out. Thanks!

- Elizabeth
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

A great ski tour is from Sugar Bowl to Pole Cr along Highway 89 just before Squaw. What's cool about this trip is it's an easy shuttle. There are two huts along the way. The first one is the Benson Hut located just below Mt Anderson, and the other one is the Bradley Hut. This make for a great 3 day ski tour. They are administered by the Sierra Club.
Benson Hut.JPG
Bradley Hut.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.