NORM WILSON

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Randonnee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

NORM WILSON

Post by Randonnee »

I have just learned that Norm Wilson has passed away. He was one of the leaders in avalanche education and study in the U.S.

For many years he put on courses at Rock Creek and introduced a large number of people to the Sierra backcournty in the winter.

When I was a young ski patroller he did a lot of my avalanche training in the Tahoe area. He was a fantastic instructor and individual. He will be missed by a great many of us in the skiing and mountaineering community.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Norm Wilson

Post by gdurkee »

I am way late on this, but that is really too bad. He was one of the foremost experts on Sierra avalanche conditions and forecasting. I took part of the National Avalanche School from him in the early 70s. When I was taking another course a few years ago, I mentioned something he'd said about evaluating terrain in the Sierra vs. the more interior rangers. Everyone in the course, including the instructor, perked up to hear what Norm thought about it (and assuming I was getting his thoughts right...). Terrific instructor and a great loss to the ski community.

George