south fork big pine creek in winter-- questions

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

south fork big pine creek in winter-- questions

Post by DAVELA »

this weekend i snowshoed north fork trail of big pine creek.For whatever reason i thought south fork trail dead-ended after 1.5miles in the canyon.When i was returning i saw a serious switchback path on south fork trail i presume going all the way up to the top of a rock mass.The views of the palisades must be spectacular from up there.my views were good from n fork trail but from that ledge you see the pals up close and unobstructed south view,right?
Is this a dangerous trail for snowshoeing?I only want to get to the top of that hill/mtn.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: south fork big pine creek in winter-- questions

Post by DAVELA »

went back to try south fork trail but was unsuccessful...i dont have a trail map and thought i could find my way...big mistake...if anybody has a map of south fork going up to the pals from parking lot pls let me know....snow was crunchy and going up steep sections snow became icy and granular...a total uphill slog...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: south fork big pine creek in winter-- questions

Post by maverick »

Hi DEVELA

Go to the USGS site and get the Ref# A4 CA A SPLIT MTN 24k/7.5 series map to get
a detailed map of that area.