Ever been to longboard races?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ever been to longboard races?

Post by hikerduane »

The races are so close to home, that I finally had to go a few years ago. http://www.plumasnews.com/news_story.edi?sid=3944 If you have never been there, it is very friendly. Even when the hill was in operation, there was always a crowd out on the deck. Folks eating lunch, catching some rays, drinking beer, enjoying there kids. Nice, family atmosphere. Never any problems. Just a couple poma lifts and a rope tow. Cheap also, just don't wear your good stuff.

I worked at the Plumas Eureka Ski bowl for about 4 seasons, mostly as a lift attendent at the top, then the last year I was a poma bar mechanic.:) The ski bowl is located in Plumas County close to Graeagle which is on 89, close to the junction of 70 and 89, about an hour north of Truckee and just out of the town of Johnsville. I really improved my downhill skiing while working there or should I say, while on breaks and lunch. Just can't account for lack of coordination.
Piece of cake.
Foamfinger
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Foamfinger »

Yep! I went up during the winter of 96/97. One of my coworkers from Reno raced; I just went up to cheer her on - very sociable, low-key gathering. We were conveniently close by that winter, living in a cabin a few miles west of Blairsden just off Hwy 70. Man, I miss overlooking the Feather River.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

The local ski club is trying to get the hill up and running again. Very persistant bunch. The Junior High I believe it was, a sort of Allstar team, took the state championship last year in skiing and the Portola girls were champs this year. The local Junior High kids a couple weeks ago cleaned house at a meet in the Tahoe area a couple weeks ago. Most of the team placed in the top 20. The story was in the local rag.
Piece of cake.