We dont need no stinkin passes????

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

We dont need no stinkin passes????

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

I can’t wait for snow....I was just wondering where all you HST folks get your turns in? Do you prefer back country action, the resorts, or both? So... what’s the most popular ski resort amongst HSTers? I must say there are sooo many good deals on passes this year, I want one of each! What say everyone? Mammoth, the Wood, the Bowl, Squaw, June, or the Pine? Which do you prefer or do you prefer neither?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: We dont need no stinkin passes????

Post by John Dittli »

None of them.

No pass required
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Every year around this time I start contemplating biting the bullet and getting a season pass. And usually after long thought figure I'd rather spend the time in the backcountry. Perhaps not some of those intense lines John shows though (Dragon peak?!? Dang :eek: ). Being in the Bay Area, I do miss the Mammoth area from years past, but the drive is a pain. Usually opt for Kirkwood as its relatively close and has some nice lines
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Ahhhh….John your secret spot is an all time favorite! What makes it even better is the new improvements Caltrans made to the location. For me the best part is I don’t even have to hike up there. Well maybe a little if I want to drop in where your pic was taken. I think Ive seen that pic on the MLC website, very cool spot indeed!

I guess I am a bit partial to the no pass thing. Snowmobiles get me a long way into the back county or at least to wilderness boundaries, then I don’t have to hike as much and spend the extra energy making turns. There are some GRRRREEEEEAAAAT lines just outside of Lee Vining or on Tioga which I just adore. Otherwise, I would have to say my first favorite resort would be June for sentimental reasons, then Kirkwood, SVR, then Alpine. I however didn’t buy a pass for any of these as Mt. Rose is just minutes from my house, and I can get suited and booted and on snow within 22 minutes from my driveway. Hard to beat that because I would much rather make turns than drive to something that gets tracked out in the first five minutes anyway.

John, those pics of you are very worthy….especially the one of you going up to Dragon… straight knarle, holy mackerel man!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I never bought a season pass but worked at 3 different ski areas for my passes over about 15 years. 5 years on pro patrol (4 at Bachelor). The best area I worked at was Mammoth (winters 80-spring of 83). Never went two weeks without skiing a new line. Never skied on weekends except for 1 run days down the S. side to Twin Lakes. Skied Hole-in-the Wall a few times when there was a person in the group who hadn't done it before. But the best run was to ski all the way down the avalanche path before cutting east to Twin Lakes.

The other fun run was to hike up the Sherwins from Twin Lakes and ski down to old mammoth in the spring. It was cool to look down on the top of Mammoth Mt. Once the corn snow was perfect from top to bottom. That was a day to remember.

Got rid of my Alpine Equipment in the mid 90s and now do x-country with an occasional teli turn on really easy slopes.

Cheers

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!