April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

I'm probably going to make it a 2 night trip; trying to decide between Fri and Mon. Probably stay in a tent, but the hut sounds like a good place to warm up! I will be snowshoeing up as well, so it looks like there'll be a few of us that'll be the envy of the skiers (and splitboarders) as we trudge through the snow! :lol:

How much does the snowmobile ride cost?
wingding

Post by wingding »

Snowmobile ride??? How do we get them to give us a ride on the snowmobile?
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I plan on going, I told them at work no OT for that weekend. I only have snowshoes or downhill skis. My Toyota isn't set up to haul my old snowmobile otherwise that could get us up the hill. Our clothes would smell from it also. The newer sleds should be better. I will be there Saturday morning with Gak if he is still going and wants to ride along. I don't have a 4 season tent yet so my summer tent will have to do. What time do you want to be there? Leave the TH by 9, 10? If we have to hoof it, it will take a couple hours at least.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Cool! Dave, WLD might join us! He said hi! :)

I have Atlas 1033's that I can bring home from Mammoth, but I have to know by March 30.

I will probably be on the splitboard, mainly for skinning practice. Dave, can I ride the splitboard down Mono Pass? I seem to remember it wasn't too bad. Have you seen people skiing up there?

Looks like we have a good size group. I can pick up the permit if we're all going in on Saturday.

Snow Nymph
ridgeline
Trail Bud
Trekker
Wing Ding
hikerduane
Gak
Randonee
trailblazer

Doug395????
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Also, I have a Stephenson Warmlite (4 season) if anyone wants to use it. The inner zipper is broken, but the outer zipper works. I leave the inner zipper open for ventilation. 2 lb 13 oz

Leaving for Mammoth in a few minutes! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

I will check on snowcat rides, and what the cost will be. They normally transport new guests to the lodge around 9-10 Sat morning and guests for dinner by reservation only in the evening. If the schedule or cost situation does not work out we will have to shoe it from the parking. Give me a day or two to verify this. SN, tell Bill that would be great if he could come, Trail Bud aka Doug also knows Bill. Yes I have seen skiers, mostly cross country touring through the pass, Ive seen tracks on Ruby Lake, and various places, just south of Starr at the start of the pass has some safe slopes not sure what last weeks storm brought.
I will try to reserve the hut for Tb and myself for Sat night, and we can figure out the logistics for others later.
EricJLee
Founding Member

Post by EricJLee »

After a long hiatus I'm back on this site and just found this thread. Turns out I most likely have that Fri-Sat off as well. Is it too late to add another on, I'll happily sleep in a bivy and melt snow outside, don't need no stinkin cabin. I've got Randonee skis, beacon, probe, shovel, and all the fun stuff.
Oh, and Mammoth Mountaineering rents Randonee ski gear for anyone wanting to try it out, not sure what kinds though. 760-934-4191
Eric
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'll be going in on Saturday.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

The hut has been reserved by others, I will be going up friday with T bud getting a ride to the lodge for dinner and making our way to Mosquito Flats for Sat/Sun. To get a ride Sat morning they need to know in advance, and a call a couple hours prior and it is $10 a person which cuts off a minimum of 4m as far as the lodge, not sure if they can run the extra 2m forgot to ask.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I've never camped at Mosquito Flat in the winter. I know I'm not required to carry a bear canister in April, but are the bears still a problem in April? I'm assuming the bear boxes typically buried in snow? Also, I'm assuming water is available from the creek, is this correct or will we need to boil snow?