April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Didn't get to call today. :( Got busy

Yes, we have a condo in Mammoth at 8,100', but also live in Torrance. I would have to drive another 15-20 miles each way. I'll check the mileage. Might be worth going all the way. :-k Could get breakfast in Mammoth too. :yummy:

hikerduane, yes, Tom's Place is open for breakfast.

I'm outta here! Driving to Mammoth tonight to acclimatize, then doing a ski-a-thon Saturday! whoohoooo!

(((||)))
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

After all the planning I think I'm dropping out of this trip. We have lots of snow locally, so I'm just going to stay closer to home and enjoy the snow. Have fun everyone!
Randonnee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Randonnee »

Has anyone seen a weather forcast for the weekend?

I have been hearing through word of mouth that it could be a concern.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

That's what I'm hearing too. :(
Mammoth is reporting 50" with no end in sight. :(

====================================

Current Avalanche Advisory
Issued April 4, 2006

Good morning, this is Sue Burak with the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center with an avalanche warning posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2006.

BOTTOM LINE:

The avalanche danger is EXTREME in the Mammoth Lakes area due to over four feet of dense new snow falling in the last 24 hours. The avalanche danger for the Rock Creek to Bishop Creek areas remains HIGH.

MOUNTAIN WEATHER

The winter storm warning for Inyo and Mono Counties will continue today and expire late tonight. Another 2 feet of new snow is expected in the Mammoth area, which has been the bulls eye for this storm. Areas to the north and south of Mammoth could see accumulations of 12 inches or more. Temperatures will continue to be hovering around 30 to 32F at the 8,000 ft level. Winds will continue to be light to moderate from the south and southwest at the 8,000 to 10,000 ft. levels. Winds at the top of Mammoth are in the usual range of 40 to 60 mph.

OUTLOOK

This morning, the National Weather Service stated that the "active weather pattern will keep going and going and going". Another weather system moves into the region on Friday. This will be a colder storm and will be followed by another system on Sunday.

SNOWPACK AND AVALANCHE DISCUSSION

Mammoth Mountain has been the focal point for an amazing amount of snow and water content accumulation in the last 24 hours- 44 inches of new snow and almost 5 inches of water has fallen since 7AM yesterday. Areas to the north and south of Mammoth have received less snow and water, but the amounts are still impressive for an early April storm. Mammoth Pass and the Bishop Pass snow sensor picked up around 3.7 inches of water. Rock Creek picked up 16 inches of 13% snow. Tioga Pass picked up 18 inches of new snow. Aspendell received 8 inches of 9% snow and it is currently snowing in the Bishop Creek drainage.

Winds have been light during this storm and the main avalanche danger is due to the rapid addition of water to the snowpack. June Mountain ski patrol reported 1 to 2 foot crowns and avalanches running close to the parking lot this morning. The dense new snow will settle quickly with mild temperatures and increasing density. Settlement is the decrease in snow depth due to sintering and rounding.

The avalanche danger today is EXTREME in the Mammoth area. For the Rock to Bishop Creek area, the avalanche danger remains HIGH.

The outlook for Wednesday is for decreasing avalanche danger as snowfall ends and we have a day or so before the next storm affects our area on Friday.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

As snownymph mentioned, forecasts don't look to good. I was planning on perhaps going to someplace closer like Glacier Point in Yosemite for a short trip this weekend (little/no avy danger along that route), but am hesitant about going now that I here about the weather - don't want to be snowed on the whole trip. Will know more as the week progresses.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Im not too worried about 16" of new snow in the Rock Creek area, or the storm due on Sunday. A storm on Friday could put a damper on things. With snow falling this close to being in it I would just stay in the middle of the valley and on slopes less than 30deg. Just remember Mammoth reports are never the case to the south, almost never. :)
I will be heading up Fri with Doug, spend one night at the lodge and drag a sled to Mosq.Flats in the morning, we could help haul any big items in the sled (chairs, refrigerator,beer, musical instruments) if you want to meet up Sat morning.
Dave

PS; we have a phone at the lodge to let anyone know the conditions on friday night if that helps.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

I agree; if the storm ends on Wed., it should be packed down some by Sat. the Friday storm is the one to keep an eye on. Right now, NOAA is forecasting partly cloudy skies with a 20-30% chance of snow. Hey, more chances to test out the gear! :D
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

You all have a safe and fun trip if you do go. It is raining here in Lake Tahoe..Meyers at the 6400 feet elevation where I live & has been raining on and off for three days..we have gotten more rain then new snow in the last few days...Friday night we received about 1 foot of new snow..but that has been washed away plus a lot more from this rain. The snow here is now very wet and heavy. The forecast here all week looks terrible & very depressing to me, no sun at all. :crybaby:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

:) Dave, I'll send you my cell number in case there are any changes. I drove by the sno-park on the way home Sunday and it didn't look like it had too much more snow, even though Mammoth got some. The mini-avalanche was covered up, and I measured about 9" new snow on top of the slide. We're catching the 10am snowmobile to Rock Creek Lodge. If we catch up to you maybe I'll throw a few items on the sled. The first day up from sea level is always tough for me. I'm still bringing the splitboard, just for the skinning practice.

Mammoth is reporting 60" from this storm, and broke the record snowfall this afternoon, and its still coming down. :eek:

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

It looks like this weekend may be great, a small chance of snow coming in on Sunday. We will most likely wait for you guys and help haul gear, there is the pay phone at the lodge which should reach any cell phones if there are any changes. An early arrival could get anyone up to breakfast early, I think Wingding said $20 for ride and breakfast. Dont forget to call in advance.