April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

I would count on boiling water, I have never seen a bear in the area, in the summer the bears stay down low and hastle the fisherman.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Don't remember bears being an issue last May, even though I took my bear canister. Didn't take it in Feb, although Snow Nymph had hers. Best to ask the rangers, ( or your local bear expert ). Maybe Bear lover has an insight on this! As for water, we melted snow until Snowy found a hole in the creek below the bridge at the trail head, so I'm assuming it will still be there, or relatively easy to break through to.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

ridgeline, do you have the number to call for the snowmobiles? And where are you camping now since the hut is taken?

There should be water holes all over . . .

http://community.webshots.com/photo/548 ... 6560MrSwQx

A few years ago we camped at Mack Lake and found a water hole nearby. I think we'll have plenty of water sources.

Last month we were camped at Mosquito Flats TH. The restroom was open (and stinky), and no bear boxes. I've never seen a bear there either, but I bring the bearikade anyway.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

I think I'll leave the Bear Canister behind. I'll have enough weight to carry as it is. I think I'll just start hike/snowshoe in from the parking area. I might take Monday off so that I don't can stay late on Sunday. Maybe I can have dinner on Sunday at the lodge and then catch a ride back to the parking area? I guess I'll call and check on this. It looks like 6 miles, but only 1700 feet of gain to Mosquito Flats from the parking area and it looks like the road.

The road to Mosquito Flats looks like it's packed down most of the time from pictures. Are snowshoes needed on the road or do people wear snowshoes on the road because they don't want to carry them or because they need them?
wingding

Post by wingding »

Okay, never mind snowshoeing the whole way.

I called Rock Creek Lodge. They are going to pick me up at 8 am at the parking lot and give me a ride on the snowmobile to the lodge and feed me breakfast for a cost of $20.00 (breakfast and ride) on April 8th.

On April 9th I'm going to snowshoe over to the lodge for dinner at 6 pm and they are going to give me a snowmobile ride back to the parking area after dinner for a cost of $40.00 (ride and dinner).

I'm supposed to call them and remind them to pick me up about an hour before they come get me - they said phone reception will be available at Tom's Place.

The number to call is:

1-877-935-4170

They said that if anyone else is interested in the breakfast/ride or dinner/ride deal just give them a call.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

The number for Rock creek lodge is 877-935-4170 to call for a ride from the parking to I think the lodge, Im not sure if they go all the way to mosq flats. I will be camping at mosq flats with Trail bud, one large tent or two small ones. The road can be icy at times and snow shoes off to the side seems to work better, it really varies as far as conditions.
wingding

Post by wingding »

They only go as far as the lodge. They said it's 3 miles from the lodge to Mosquito Flats.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

wingding, didnt see your last post before mine, anyway, we will see you at breakfast on Sat. at the lodge. We wont be on the ride up in the morning, decided to go up Fri. stay one night at the lodge and head to mosq. flats Sat after breakfast , set up camp , and would like to head back into the valley the rest of the day. What about everyone else?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. That drive would be a killer too. I'm thinking of heading up to Yosemite high country soon as a consolation :-k
Have fun everyone!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I think I'll go for the Snowmobile ride, but skip the breakfast. I'll be coming from sea level and can use all the help I can get. I hope we can get up there early enough to hike around LLV.

Thanks for the number, Kathy. I'll call to make reservations.

I will leave my avy gear since no one else is bringing it. There was a mini slide on the way up to the Sno-Park on Sunday.

Photos of the road:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/548 ... 6560nTyETA#

There are 6 photos (click on 'next' for the rest)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;