April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

As snownymph mentioned, forecasts don't look to good. I was planning on perhaps going to someplace closer like Glacier Point in Yosemite for a short trip this weekend (little/no avy danger along that route), but am hesitant about going now that I here about the weather - don't want to be snowed on the whole trip. Will know more as the week progresses.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Im not too worried about 16" of new snow in the Rock Creek area, or the storm due on Sunday. A storm on Friday could put a damper on things. With snow falling this close to being in it I would just stay in the middle of the valley and on slopes less than 30deg. Just remember Mammoth reports are never the case to the south, almost never. :)
I will be heading up Fri with Doug, spend one night at the lodge and drag a sled to Mosq.Flats in the morning, we could help haul any big items in the sled (chairs, refrigerator,beer, musical instruments) if you want to meet up Sat morning.
Dave

PS; we have a phone at the lodge to let anyone know the conditions on friday night if that helps.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

I agree; if the storm ends on Wed., it should be packed down some by Sat. the Friday storm is the one to keep an eye on. Right now, NOAA is forecasting partly cloudy skies with a 20-30% chance of snow. Hey, more chances to test out the gear! :D
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

You all have a safe and fun trip if you do go. It is raining here in Lake Tahoe..Meyers at the 6400 feet elevation where I live & has been raining on and off for three days..we have gotten more rain then new snow in the last few days...Friday night we received about 1 foot of new snow..but that has been washed away plus a lot more from this rain. The snow here is now very wet and heavy. The forecast here all week looks terrible & very depressing to me, no sun at all. :crybaby:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

:) Dave, I'll send you my cell number in case there are any changes. I drove by the sno-park on the way home Sunday and it didn't look like it had too much more snow, even though Mammoth got some. The mini-avalanche was covered up, and I measured about 9" new snow on top of the slide. We're catching the 10am snowmobile to Rock Creek Lodge. If we catch up to you maybe I'll throw a few items on the sled. The first day up from sea level is always tough for me. I'm still bringing the splitboard, just for the skinning practice.

Mammoth is reporting 60" from this storm, and broke the record snowfall this afternoon, and its still coming down. :eek:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

It looks like this weekend may be great, a small chance of snow coming in on Sunday. We will most likely wait for you guys and help haul gear, there is the pay phone at the lodge which should reach any cell phones if there are any changes. An early arrival could get anyone up to breakfast early, I think Wingding said $20 for ride and breakfast. Dont forget to call in advance.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Mammoth snowfall is at an all-time record of 632 inches for the season (was 617) and its still snowing! :eek:

We can try for the 8am start. (ok with you, Trekker?) If we can't make it, we'll take the 10am ride up, but don't wait for us.

MiT, wish you could join us!

Looking forward to the weekend! \:D/
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Sounds good, if phone service works we might touch bases, could bring one more sled (a basic plastic kids sled) and leave it at the lodge for you guys, easy to pull rather than carry. If anyone else besides Sn, Trekker, Trail bud is going for sure, e mail me your cell if you want a Friday night update on road/parking conditions etc.
Dave
Last edited by ridgeline on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

It looks like I'm out. I thought with me working the last couple Saturdays that I might be able to have this coming weekend off. It looks like mandatory overtime since we are getting into bike season and those titles are coming fast now. I'll ask to see if I still have to work, but if we are behind, I'll have to help out. Maybe I can make it. More money for a winter tent if I can ever get my local store to get it.

I haven't heard a word from Gak, so I guess he moved on. I sent a message thru here and a email to him also. If I don't make it you guys have fun.
Piece of cake.
Gak Icenberg
Topix Novice

Post by Gak Icenberg »

hiker duane, gak here. i'm not able to make it unfortunately. things are too crazy right now. in about a month or so things may be better. i will be up for an over nighter or a day trip or perhaps something else that might be coming up. if you go have a good one, and keep in touch for the future. to everyone else be safe and have a good time. think avalanche safety if called for. -------gak
when someone screws up, yell at them, they'll love it!