suggestions for Sat 1-21-06

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

suggestions for Sat 1-21-06

Post by ridgeline »

Heading up to Sacramento on Friday and free Sat, and or Sun. Im not real familiar with any Sierra entry from this side (hwy 99). All my trips have always been from 395 to the Eastern Sierra. Any suggestions for this weekend? will have gear, ice axe, crampons, snow shoes etc, but would like to do some snow shoeing, can bring skis. Thanks for suggestions.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

From Sacramento, (my home too) think Tahoe - a 2-hour drive up the hill - bring chains - heavy snow last few days.
Two routes are open: Highway 80 to Donner Summit, Truckee, North Lake Tahoe or Highway 50 towards Echo Summit and South Lake. You can also take Highway 5 south (parallels 99 then merges) up to Modesto (Yosemite offramp - Highway 120) and be in Yosemite Valley in 3 hours. There are too many ski venues available along the way to list here.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Thanks, I know the Tahoe area well, and lots of skiing off of the 80, Royal Gorge etc. I guess off the 120 and into Yosemite is where Ill explore, have not done any homework for this trip as you can see.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Carson Pass, Hwy 88 is a good place to explore too. Also, if you go over Carson Pass, 3 miles or so, you can park at Red Lake, and head south towards Forestdale Creek drainage. Good snowshoeing and skiing to be had. You can tie it into a Tahoe loop via Luther Pass.