Weekend Snow Pics

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Weekend Snow Pics

Post by SSSdave »

Have been slow out of the box this winter and just now got my first couple days in skiing. Always carry my Coolpix 7900 in the pocket and snap pics when interested. A couple images I took sunny Wednesday. First is in the afternoon in the Rabbit Forest in the Emigrant Basin area of Kirkwood. Came bouncing through the dense firs in rolling terrain and stopped at a spot with an aesthetic group of trees.

About 2pm my body was history. Need some more days in to bring my body strength up to where my mind will bring it. So drove off, put my Sorrels and Tubbs on, loaded on my 30 pounds of daypack and tripod then tramped out to a spot with wind swept sierra junipers I know below. Was sinking in nearly a foot in places and staying above the crust in others. Got up to the spot and pounded out the snow where I would stand and support the tripod. Of course the legs of my big Gitzo went in pretty far haha. Got the camera and my 150mm lens out, set it up, then adjusted for a shot. Took a couple exposures a bit after 4pm at EV14.0 and EV 13.7. Sunset on my location would be about 4:30pm PST and closer to 5pm at the top of the peak in the back so the light was just getting a bit yellow. I was mainly interested in shooting two types of shot. First when the sun was just about to go under the ridge to the west and a second from a nearby spot to get the pink dusk nightwedge behind the tree. Of course the snow is a great foreground medium for reflecting sky color. But suddenly a band of clouds rose up on the western horizon so I packed things up. Then just before hiking down took this pic with my tiny 7900. Will likely visit the spot in a few weeks when the sun moves north to an optimal null saddle in the west. ...David

SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Digital?!?!?!? :eek: What happened to the LF rig?!?!! ;)
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Dave
Great pics. I really like the second one. Love the 'waves' in the snow from the wind in the foreground. That with the trees makes it look quite menacing.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Excellent! :thumbsup:
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

trailblazer wrote:Dave
Great pics. I really like the second one. Love the 'waves' in the snow from the wind in the foreground. That with the trees makes it look quite menacing.
Such wind lines on the smooth snow surface look particularly nice when in red alpenglow as it contrasts against the bluish shadow snow takes where the lines hide slightly from a setting sun. The best time for that will be in a few weeks when the sun sets in a saddle to the west instead of a higher ridge it is now dropping behind. I've been lurking about this shot for a couple years and am sure to nail it. Hopefully with a few clouds too.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I like the waves too. Last week I tried to photograph waves.

Still working on pics, and haven't been able to catch up.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;