TR: Ski Tour from Virginia Lakes to Return Creek, and Return.

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Ski Tour from Virginia Lakes to Return Creek, and Return.

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks again for a great report, showing the beauty of the snow-covered mountains that most of us don't see. I'm afraid I've gotten too soft to ever attempt such a ski-backpacking trip again (did a bit in my youth). But I love that area in the summer! Here's a summer picture of upper Virginia Canyon - a truly beautiful spot. This was taken while traversing cross-country from the pass at Summit Lake.
-Phil
IMG_9549.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great summer photo Phil! I thought you'd be the one to show us the summer there. I'll see if I can find the other season comparisons:

100_2830.jpg
Autumn

100_3209.jpg
Winter

The summer seems so rich, and full of life, and more colorful too, but that stark, white winter, mountains etched with snow... which do you prefer?
These three photos provide the images to color a Haiku from my first time in Alaska. I stayed the year through, and I was so impressed by the long, hard winter. My photo doesn't do justice to golden beauty of early autumn in the Alaska Range- full of yellows, reds, and overall gold!

GREEN TUNDRA GONE GOLD
AUTUMN FROST LAY IN MORNING
THE DOMINANCE OF WINTER
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

austex wrote
Now I know know what Sastrugi is...
I wasn't exactly sure either; we're always reading about it in arctic travel stories. Apparently it is:

"Wind-sculptured, wave-like snow formation with irregular grooves and ridges."

I took a few more shots of sastrugi up on Summit Lake:
100_3227.jpg

100_3239.jpg

100_3240.jpg

100_3241.jpg

100_3235.jpg
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

overheadx2 asks:
Any suggestions for a relatively easy 6 to 10 mile R/T day trips in the lone pine to bishop area. Any old TRs of that area?
I think you are onto a great trip-- from Parchers up through South Lake as far as you can get. Beautiful right out of the gate. Rock Creek is a bit farther north, but another classic touring area. Some years you have to ski 4 miles or more up the road before you reach the summer TH at Mosquito Flat. You can get the info by calling local ski shops, USFS, et. al. I'll add a couple images from those two areas.

100_1400.jpg
South Lake, and Hurd Peak, usually about a mile from where you can park, above Parcher's.

100_1402.jpg
South Lake.

100_1006.jpg
Rock Creek, aka Little Lakes Valley, just a mile or so above Mosquito flat.

100_1036.jpg
Rock Creek.