Basin mountain avalanch risk this weekend?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Basin mountain avalanch risk this weekend?

Post by DAVELA »

I kinda want to go snowshoeing off buttermilk rd but avalanch risk seems to be looming according to ESA...I guess this is true for all of the eastside.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Basin mountain avalanch risk this weekend?

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'll give you the standard avalanche advice. Given, I'm not a professional or anything, and everyone's tolerance of risk is different. And if you know about the ESA, you've probably heard all this before.

Avalanches generally happen on terrain between 30-45 degrees after new snow falls (either freshly fallen, or redeposited by wind). And at this time of year, loose-wet slides are the main issue.

If the winds have been calm, no new snow in the last 48 hours, and you stay on low angle terrain, you'll be alright. If you're really paranoid, get off the snow by noon, since loose-wet slides happen when the snow gets warm.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Basin mountain avalanch risk this weekend?

Post by DAVELA »

thanks...i think theres been a couple of snow flurries this week and windy also...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;