Saving Small Ski Resorts in Tahoe from Going Under

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Saving Small Ski Resorts in Tahoe from Going Under

Post by rightstar76 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:18 am

I was watching this video from last August. In the first half, Jamie Schectman of Mountain Riders Alliance talks about the struggle to preserve small privately owned ski resorts in Tahoe from corportate buyouts and mergers. He also mentions how social media is commodifying the skiing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enfKr9R ... e=youtu.be

I did some research on the second half. It appears MRA has been trying for several years to purchase the local ski resort in June Lake. He's also starting three businesses to entertain and educate visitors this winter. It's basically Davey versus Goliath.

Since winter is around the corner and MRA is trying to make skiing in the Sierra Nevada more affordable for people with lower incomes, I thought it would be an interesting and relevant post.

Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Saving Small Ski Resorts in Tahoe from Going Under

Post by Tom_H » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Going Under and being bought out are not the same thing.

rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:41 pm

True, but some of the resorts are going under and then being bought out. That's why MRA is trying to find the capital to buy them before that happens.

John Harper
Topix Regular

Post by John Harper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 am

The creative destruction of capitalism in action.

John

rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm

@John Harper, whenever I read about creative destruction, it's usually about streaming internet content and how it revolutionized the way we get media. The current trend of ski resorts being bought out by corporations limits access to the average income earner since it's expensive to ski at a corporate resort. While some resorts are purchased by small investors so they can be made or kept affordable, it's a drop in the bucket. I was wondering if this is what you were referring to.

John Harper
Topix Regular

Post by John Harper » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I was just being a bit facetious. It's actually sad that small operations have to struggle to survive or get bought out and closed down.

John

cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:40 pm

I think insurance premiums is contributing to the demise of small mom and pop ski resorts. And who do we have to thank for that. . . Blood sucking attorneys