Trip Report: A Wintery Week in Yosemite, Feb. 2018, Part 3

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report: A Wintery Week in Yosemite, Feb. 2018, Part 3

Post by Harlen »

DSCN1197.jpg
I made a long ski tour up to Parker Creek- ~ 7 miles up from the Meadows on the road, and through the forest. I originally thought to head around Ragged Peak, and on for a close up view of the giant southwest face of Conness, but the snow was too icy, and the route I chose too much of a downed trees tangle. So I turned right around, and skied up 120 to the Mono/Parker Pass TH, and on up Parker Creek. I turned around at the first of the Miner's cabins for a 17 mile day. Mounts Dana and Gibbs in the background.

DSCN1188.jpg

DSCN1190.jpg
There were a lot of snow shoe hare tracks above the Meadows.

DSCN1196.jpg
Mount Gibbs is such an interesting soft contrast to the spiky peaks of the Cathedral Range above T.Meadows.

DSCN1213.jpg
Here's the Toulumne Ski Hut, with a vague view of Lembert Dome in the background.

DSCN1205.jpg
The T.M. Ski Hut is a very nice base. Wood stove with a huge stock of wood, 8 bunks, two large tables, usually electricity, and electric hot-plates to cook on (sometimes just candles for light, and the woodstove to cook on). Water from the Toulumne River right up at the bridge- sometimes quite an effort to break into it for liquid water- but always snow to heat up in the hut's giant pots. And it's free- on first come basis.

DSCN1223.jpg
Finally an animal! This coyote let me join up for a long tour of the Meadows together.

DSCN1226.jpg
I first encountered him or her just 30 yards or so away- first thing in the morning on my morning tour.

DSCN1228.jpg

DSCN1229.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wintery Week in Toulumne- Part 3

Post by cslaght »

What an amazing trip! Thank you for the share.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wintery Week in Toulumne- Part 3

Post by jeremiahkim »

Awesome shots of the coyote, particularly the last one.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Wintery Week in Yosemite- Part 3

Post by tahoefoothills »

This is a great, unique trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post those terrific winter photos. I greatly admire your backcountry winter skills (and boldness).