any other skiers on the board?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

any other skiers on the board?

Post by SSSdave »

Yeah it is almost that time of fall once again when any week an early Pacific cold front might come down from the Gulf of Alaska and open up the Tahoe region ski season. A few other areas of The West like Timberline on Mt Hood in Oregon have already started spinning lifts. This season have an Epic Tahoe Value Pass (Senior) so will be skiing Heavenly during 7 days of the week and Kirkwood and Northstar all but Saturdays. Note that pass gives me 6 buddy tickets for bringing along friends with a minor discount versus walk up prices. My pass pays for itself versus walk up prices after just 5 skiing days.

Since am now retired, have the luxury of doing so weekdays when resorts have a lot less customers, lodging is cheaper, and I have a better chance of skiing more powder on fresh snow days. Also on most trips will be bringing along my snowshoes so I can dabble working winter snow landscapes. Additionally have old Alpine Trekker binding adapters so I can occasionally climb up backcountry slopes using my Scott The Ski skis. And may even start some easy winter camping again since I have the gear and the time now. Note have a pair of hardly used K2 World Piste backcountry skis with Naxo bindings but could never stand the way they feel (little me too light) so will be tossing them in the dumpster sans bindings or selling them dirt cheap.

David
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: any other skiers on the board?

Post by Tom_H »

Retired now also. I have great memories of mad dogging KT-22, Our Father, and Hell's Delight, but just don't have the stamina and control any more. Puttering around on baby slopes just doesn't give me the adrenaline, so I said goodbye to the boards awhile back. We have a small 4x4 low range motorhome with limited slip diffs on order with Sportsmobile and plan to spend a lot of time in places like Death Valley, Canyonlands NP, Coyote Flats during shoulder seasons and taking on places like Engineer Pass (CO), the Canadian Rockies, and AK in summer. In winters, we'll probably do Baja and also hit some cultured places like the Smithsonian and Natural History Museum in Chicago.

A different season of life, a different kind of adventure!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I like the Natural History museum in Chicago. Very nice presentations. Canyonlands are worth every minute spent walking around near Highway 12. Spent 2 months there (1 month a year in '84 and '88.) Took time off from work w/o pay to go. Best times there and lots of memories.

I back-country ski but all my friends who did it don't anymore or are paraplegic.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I used to be a big downhill skiier, but that was BC (before children).
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I have the Tahoe Local Pass as well and spend my time between a resort day and a backcountry day depending on the conditions. I also have a Mammoth/June pass so I mix it up between the 5 resorts but as much as I enjoy the Winter I find myself more and more wishing I could just have a never ending Summer of hiking, backpacking and peak bagging...However, nothing beats knee deep fluffy snow in the trees while it is still dumping...IMHO. Winter will be here soon and my summer pack will be replaced with my Winter pack and shovel, probe, beacon and warmer clothes. Trying to get to Kirkwood before some Yahoo crashes because they don't know how to drive and 88 becomes impassable. Maybe I'll see you there :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

... I enjoy the Winter... nothing beats deep fluffy snow..." SNOOOOW.

Hey "SUUUUUUN," I've edited your post a bit, to try to turn your thoughts toward the coming snows.
You can bring the probes and becons, I'll stick with my dogs and brandy. Maybe we can share our survival gear?

What is it that you are quaffing in your post above, your icon seems to drink at a furious pace- it's not Laphroig is it? I can't even share a tent with a Laphroig drinker! See below:
Undrinkable! A Scots friend once shared some Laphroig with me, and I still haven't recovered from it.... "Smoked Peat" my @rse, tastes like old socks marinated in badger piss!
miter basin-019.JPG
See you this winter "SNOOOOW."
Harlen and "Bear."
carl book 034.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Harlen wrote:
... I enjoy the Winter... nothing beats deep fluffy snow..." SNOOOOW.

Hey "SUUUUUUN," I've edited your post a bit, to try to turn your thoughts toward the coming snows.
You can bring the probes and becons, I'll stick with my dogs and brandy. Maybe we can share our survival gear?

What is it that you are quaffing in your post above, your icon seems to drink at a furious pace- it's not Laphroig is it? I can't even share a tent with a Laphroig drinker!
My backcountry flask is typically filled with Bulleit or another tasty bourbon...
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

"Cheers!"
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Mtbski
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Mtbski »

Have Epic Pass and every other Friday off. Perhaps we will run into each other at Kirkwood? Looking forward to 20+ days this year.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

I've toyed with the idea of getting some skis so that I can extend my backcountry adventures into the 4th season. But lack of knowing anyone down here that skis (outside of resorts, that is) that I could go out with and learn the ropes and the initial buy in for all the associated gear has me still well on the other side of the fence.