Trip Report: Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass, May 2017

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass

Post by Hobbes »

Harlen, you have now set the bar for the most excellent trip report I have ever read; that was truly epic.

Eric has an interesting conundrum on his hands. Does he condone legal infractions in the name of adventure? Or does he facilitate criticism to the detriment of achieving a vibrant, engaged audience inspired by such feats?

Not my call, but it's the challenge of every decision maker to try and achieve a fine balance. Afford too much allowance, and the public square can develop a poor reputation. On the other hand, judging and censoring clear exceptions and unique experiences can produce an echo chamber of those more interested in control rather than celebration.

Harlen knew exactly what he was doing, and admittedly was willing to deal with the consequences. In that regard, he really doesn't need to be lectured (in either a direct or oblique fashion) about something that is obvious to everyone/anyone.

OTOH, if one can put aside their umbrage for such an outrageous disregard for the law, the trip itself was one for the ages. If HST wishes to retain any semblance of dynamic input, then it should make allowances for these kinds of characters. Because you know what? This personality trait is consistent across all aspects of life - both art & science. The ones pushing the envelope lead the way for more sedate, succulent enthusiasts. (Sans law breaking of course.)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think the PCT hikers who have the mountaineering experience and the right equipment to do the snow may be better off than the later hikers who will have to deal with the high stream crossings. Snow at its last melting phase is the most miserable and post-hole prone.

Two reasons that rules may not allow dogs are their bothering wildlife and other hikers on trails, the latter not an issue this time of year. Our dog has been specifically trained not to chase wildlife. She encounters wild turkeys about every day and just walks by, without even looking at them. Unfortunately the "rules" are based on poorly trained dogs (which are most dogs). Nevertheless "illegal" but it looks like no damage to wildlife or others done. You are not the first person to take a dog onto SEKI from the east side. The more serious concern for me would be keeping my dog safe in those conditions. Lucky that dogs have built-in crampons! But that was a lot of hard miles for a dog. I have sympathy for the poor dog as you skied out of his view.

Great to see conditions. Yes, put up more photos!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Great report no doubt.. but... I don't take my dog(s) wherever they don't belong.. Dynamic input is great. Just trying to be consistent with the rules...
Harlen
Topix Addict

Trip Report: Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass, May 2017, Part 2

Post by Harlen »

KEARSARGE TO SHEPHERD PASS, THE KERN BASIN
bestbear_compressed.jpg
Bear deep in thought back on Kearsarge Pass, wondering if he belongs in a National Park.

DSCN0173.JPG
Harlen on the edge of Shepherd Pass, about to hurl himself off in guilt-
the ecologist who brought a dog into the National Park.

The last two days of this wonderful trip were spent at a high camp in the Kern Basin, resting and gazing about at some of my favorite highlands. We rested, and ambled over to the pass, and finally went on down. Hating to leave this mountain paradise. Our last camp was set beneath Mount Tyndall, Shepherd is the very first Sierra pass I came over in the snow- cramponing up the pass in January, about 25 years ago, That trip I continued on the same spikes, right up Tyndall, then down and around another saddle back.

DSCN0167.JPG
Mount Tyndall and the frozen lake by the pass.

DSCN0130_comp.jpg
Centennial, Milestone and Midway Mountains, due west of Shepherd Pass.

DSCN0127.JPG
Milestone Mountain, just a light scramble up the backside, and a tremendous vantage point
of the upper Kern Watersheds

DSCN0131.JPG
Thunder Mountain, has anyone climbed this? I wonder what the climbing is like.

DSCN0136.JPG
Bear is so happy in the mornings, he reaches a manic phase, and leaps and rolls and sprints in circles!
This was our last morning of the trip, and I have finally found him a stick to chase.
DSCN0137.JPG
Kaweah Peaks Ridge

DSCN0185.JPG
Tele gear makes for a oddly heavy pack on the way down, and please don't tell me I should ski Shepherd Canyon- I'd be broken in two.

The only adventure of this trip over Shepherd was the first hundred feet, really only the first forty feet, which were the ones that remained icy due to the northern shadows. I left Bear and the big pack in a safe terrace, after down-climbing a short rock step, and carved a path across the hard part. Most people used a higher path that catches the sun earlier, and was probably nicely softened, but the route went fine, with Bear on a short rope per usual on dicey bits.
DSCN0175.JPG
Here is the path we made over to the rocks, and from there easily down softer snow.

DSCN0176.JPG
Just in case of a slip.

DSCN0169.JPG
The line describes the safest route through the upper section of Shepherd Pass. It lies about 100 yards above the low point of the pass.
This is a truly beautiful part of the Southern Sierra, and this route will only getting easier as the summer trails melt back into shape.
All the best, Harlen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: End of Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass Trip Report

Post by rlown »

Harlen wrote: Harlen on the edge of Shepherd Pass, about to hurl himself off in guilt-
the ecologist who brought a dog into the National Park.
Now that was funny.. Like the rope thing for Bear though.. Shows you're taking care of the dog..
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Hobbes wrote:Eric has an interesting conundrum on his hands. Does he condone legal infractions in the name of adventure? Or does he facilitate criticism...
Probably not the most satisfying answer for some, but I'm wondering if I can allow both? Harlen's post doesn't appear to break any rules of HST, yet, as some have pointed out, a wilderness rule may have been broken. When anyone posts anything publicly online they are opening themselves up to the possibility that their words and/or actions may be criticized (and if illegal, reviewed by the appropriate authorities). Seems to be the case here for Harlen. Those whom read this thread will judge, and possibly act, how they see fit, offering to all the alternative perspective they wish to get out there. I look back to Captain Tahoe and how we decided to handle that dust up. Hard to compare the two (Harlen seems to be a really nice guy with a good sense of humor), IMO, but regardless, in the interest of being consistent this and that will receive the same treatment.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: End of Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass Trip Report

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have climbed Thunder. In the summer! It has one exposed 4th class part where we roped up because we had a group with various abilities. We approached from the drainage to the east (Google Earth calls the lower lake "Casper Lake"). Then we went into Milestone Basin and climbed Table and Milestone. I opted out of the Table Mtn Climb in order to explore the drainage southeast of Milestone- it is a really pristine drainage. Coming out, the rest of the group had to leave and I stayed a day to climb the classic north rib of Tyndall, drop to Versteeg Lake and return over Rockwell Pass. I camped at that lake shown on your photo at the top of Shepherd Pass.

I am going back to that area this summer, by way of Shepherd Pass, probably in September to spend more time fishing and taking photos. I will probably take crampons, and stash them on the pass. It is likely the upper bowl will still have snow.

Your photos are wonderful. Does your dog overheat with his dark fur? Do dogs get sunburn? Those days on snow can really bake a person. My dog (border collie) is really furry and black- keeping her cool is a problem. But I guess your dog could just roll in the snow. Now if you could just teach your dog to ski!
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

I merged the two reports since they were the same trip. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Let your dog stand in a cool pool. Aside from panting, dogs cool down through the sweat glands in their paws. Having them stand in a cool pool of water or giving them a quick foot soak can help lower their body temperature. It can also be helpful to put some cold water on your dog's chest.Jun 22, 2016
Good tips, and the glands in the dog's paws on snow does the work.. Wouldn't worry about doggy dehydration.. They know when to drink water. Heck, my dog goes into the pool up to his chest everyday. I have to watch him as he has doggy dementia now.. I'm not far behind him :)
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Harlen, those are fantastic shots of Shepherd. Intentionally or not, you experienced, described and captured the difference between 'normal' season and winter routes. There is a lot of information contained in both your pictures and words for those wishing to gain further insight as to what to do when confronted with these kinds of situations. (I've been up/down Shepherd 6 times, in various snow coverage, but never that extensive.)

You can clearly see the short bit of trail between the two snow fields in the photo below taken at the edge of the trail as you come over the top. The 'normal' route cuts across from the vantage point to the clear piece, then across the second snow field to the end of the drawn line before it begins to loosely switchback down through the debris/avalanche field:

Putting yourself in Harlen's position (but projecting my state-of-mind), once you recover from your panic attack after realizing there is no way in hell you can make it across that slope, you then begin to look for other, safer routes (safer being relative) that are enabled by the snow coverage. Question: is the line the same path of the up-route you took 25 years ago?

As an aside, a good dog is a true gift. EB White summed it up quite nicely when he wrote:

A really companionable and indispensable dog is an accident of nature. You can't get it by breeding for it, and you can't buy it with money. It just happens along.

Travel on, H & B.