ski touring with my dog

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ski touring with my dog

Post by rlown »

To add pics, in the post screen, scroll down, to "upload attachments/Insert photos", choose the file, then add the file, move your cursor to where you want the pic placed in your post, and then scroll down and hit "place inline".. also I sent you a PM.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I'll try again with the photos rlown. Thanks for the tips. Seems like it worked finally.

The two dogs are an Aussie cattle dog mix (50 lb.) and a Pomeranian mix (12 lb.) - a "Mountain Pom" we call him, and he is remarkably fit and agile.
These photos are from our 9 day trip through some of the wilder parts of the Silver Divide. We managed the 2 High Route passes above Laurel Creek, climbed an interesting route on Red Slate, and a second big peak- VABM 12221, 1 mile east of Silver Pass. The dogs did fine with all of it, though Wolfie was in the chest pack for part of each climb. I tried to upload one further photo, that would show that custom chest-carrier that we used to use with our babies, and have now adapted for "Wolfie"- the Pom, for when the talus, or other terrain becomes to much for little legs. He's a young dog, and we are very careful to keep both dogs safe. Our other dog gear includes and full chest harness and rope for Bear, in case I need to haul him up, or lower him down anything. Before you lecture us about dog safety, let me assure you all we are both experienced mountaineers, and good with dogs too. I worked with sled dogs in Alaska, and practiced "ski jour" up there too, with my Greenland husky, and have had dog-friends my whole life. When terrain requires it, we use good booties, and continually check their feet. Thanks for your interest "Rlown."

IMG_0986.JPG
download/file.php?mode=view&id=16325&si ... d889f57f5b
IMG_0922.JPG
download/file.php?mode=view&id=16325&si ... d889f57f5b
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Never doubted you. Nice job! I like the rope and harness touch..
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Read your PM..