Tableland in April?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Tableland in April?

Post by cunningkeith »

Awesome shots and descriptions. I'll check out these options. Thanks again!
JWill60
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Colby Pass to Elizabeth Pass

Post by JWill60 »

Has anyone crossed the Ridgeline from Colby Pass to Triple Divide Peak to Coppermine Pass to Elizabeth Pass?
I am thinking of doing a trip up Cloud Canyon and than cutting back on the Ridgeline to Elizabeth Pass and heading down the Tablelands
I have hiked up to Elizabeth Pass via Deadman's Canyon and than out his way, but would love to try Cloud Canyon
Thank You for any feedback and I have picked up a bunch of info from other threads, but have yet to find anything on the entire route
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

As a winter sport, this is going to be brutal. Skis or snowshoes?
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Colby Pass to Elizabeth Pass

Post by TurboHike »

JWill60 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:03 pm Has anyone crossed the Ridgeline from Colby Pass to Triple Divide Peak to Coppermine Pass to Elizabeth Pass?
I am thinking of doing a trip up Cloud Canyon and than cutting back on the Ridgeline to Elizabeth Pass and heading down the Tablelands
I have hiked up to Elizabeth Pass via Deadman's Canyon and than out his way, but would love to try Cloud Canyon
Thank You for any feedback and I have picked up a bunch of info from other threads, but have yet to find anything on the entire route
JWill60,

Since you asked this in the winter sports folder, I'll answer it that way. The route you describe is very close to a route I did years ago on a trans-Sierra ski trip. We followed the classical high route, from Shepherd's Pass to Wolverton. After crossing Milestone Pass and descending Milestone Bowl, we crossed the Colby Pass trail drainage and ascended the ridge that parallels the drainage. We then crossed Triple Divide Pass. Copper Mine Pass was iced up, so we entered upper Deadman Canyon by going over Glacier Ridge. From there it was Horn Col, Pterodactyl Pass, and the Tablelands. We set up a belay at two points: one was the near the top of the ridge that parallels the Colby trail drainage; the other was descending Glacier Ridge. Here's a sketch of our approximate route.
SHRroute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JWill60
Topix Newbie

Post by JWill60 »

Thank You for the info