TR: Arrowhead Lake snow camp, March 19-20, 2016

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Arrowhead Lake snow camp, March 19-20, 2016

Post by jimmeans »

I decided to catchup on my trip reports for 2016 as I'm dreaming about trips for 2017.

In 2016 for our yearly spring snow camping trip we chose something in the Mammoth Lakes region. We (Cloudlesssky, Blackfoot, and I) stopped at the Mammoth ranger station to get our permit, and found that the only person working didn't know how to issue a permit. On top of that it took a long search and several phone calls before she could even find the permit book. Next time we head into this area we'll call ahead and warn them that some crazies are going snow camping and will need a permit.

Cloudlesssky has already posted a TR on this trip, so I'll be brief. We started at the Lake Mary road closure and snowshoed past Lake Mary to the Duck Pass trail. We originally wanted to go to Skelton Lake, but we stopped at the south end of Arrowhead Lake and camped there instead. We got up the next morning and had a nice leisurely stroll back to the truck.
P1010382-HST_4408x3306.jpg
P1010385-HST_3910x2932.jpg
P1010387-HST_4896x3672.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Arrowhead Lake snow camp, March 19-20, 2016

Post by dougieb »

Looks like fun! I'm looking forward to some snow camping this year - probably toward Lassen and then outside of Bridgeport as well. What choice do we have with a winter like this!?