Big Pine Creek/Glacier Lodge Road Conditions?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Big Pine Creek/Glacier Lodge Road Conditions?

Post by cloudlesssky »

Do any members have firsthand knowledge of current Big Pine Creek/Glacier Lodge Road conditions? I'm considering a day snowshoeing outing Friday since it looks like we might get a break in the storms.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Big Pine Creek/Glacier Lodge Road Conditions?

Post by Silky Smooth »

Gets plowed weekdays 8-4, its been a month since i was outhere there last. Had some rockfall on the way, good size boulder fell. Yes, should be good snowshoeing conditions.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Thanks Silky.

I drove up and the road was plowed and dry till just downhill from the first trailhead parking (1-1.5 miles from Glacier Lodge).
IMG_0499.jpeg
There is lots of snow, more than I expected actually. I donned my snowshoes and headed up the road. There are some large downed trees laying on the road that will need to be removed this spring.
IMG_0507.jpeg
The bridge to the Glacier Lodge area has about 6ft of snow on it.
IMG_0529.jpeg
I hiked past the cabins and to the bridge that crosses the north fork. It was covered with snow without tracks.
IMG_0516.jpeg
I went a bit further but there were no tracks and I lost the trail pretty quickly (i didn't have a GPS). I decided to turn back and explore a bit on the way back to the car.

It was a spectacular day: mid 30's, no wind, and a bright sun. A great day to try out a pair of new snowshoes.
IMG_0531.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Wow,looks gorgeous...looks like powder almost.Thanks for the road conditions update
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Was there 3/20 and road was closed/gated just before Sage campground.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Post by lvray »

Bumping this to see if anyone knows of any changes to how far the rd is open. Heading up that way 4/20 to do some snowshoeing. If the gate is still closed at Sage Flat campground, is there a place to park? TY in advance.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Did u make it?Please report.Thx.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

I was there on April 9, and the road was clear all the way to the end at Glacier Lodge.
IMG_0592-HST Post_2898x2173.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterk
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by peterk »

Thinking about skiing Kid Mountain (immediately south of the Lodge) May 16/17. Does anyone know what the snow level is around there, particularly on north-facing slopes? Thanks!
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

IMG_20170513_121727928_HDR.jpg
This is what the view from glacier lodge trailhead looked like on May 13.I didnt want to slip n slide in snowshoes up soft snow all day to get to Willow lake so i took it ez and went to llv instead.There was a 3-4 ft base at llv area at 9500 and it looks like february!
Dont know how deep the snow here but it looks like plenty...just gets a lot of sun.