Glacier point ski hut ?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Glacier point ski hut ?

Post by overheadx2 »

The wife and I are headed to the glacier point ski hut this weekend for 3 days / 2 nights. we are pretty new to XC skiing and thought this would be a good way to get our feet wet. We have reservations for Pear lake later this winter. I Plan on hiking to Sentinal dome one day. is there any place else that I need to to do or see out there? If any one has been, how are the accommodations? Looks pretty similar to a High sierra Camp.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Glacier point ski hut ?

Post by copeg »

Haven't stayed at the lodge itself, but skied and camped out there years back. Definitely an adventure. Crowds thin out after a few miles along the road, and you may find yourself alone by the Bridalveil Creek (I did). After these storms blow this week I'd be weary of any slopes above 25 deg until things consolidate a lot more, and if you get off the groomed road and you may find yourself breaking trail in several feet of fresh snow...could restrict your options. Disclaimer aside, Sentinel Dome is right there and worth checking out. Things beyond include Dewey Point, and places south such as Horizon Ridge/Ostrander Lake area...would only attempt these if you've got tons of energy, a solid turn-around time, and you are very confident in your winter navigation skills.