Desolation Wilderness TR

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation Wilderness TR

Post by copeg »

This last weekend I took a short ski trip into Desolation Wilderness. I camped at Lake Aloha Saturday night. Weather Saturday was beautiful and warm, but Sunday it turned to warm but stormy conditions. I cut the trip a little short due to the weather, but the weather did make for some nice turns on the descent out :nod:

Photos and short trip report from Desolation Wilderness
Last edited by copeg on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I love the shot of the stars above Lake Aloha.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Way to get some turns in! Nice shot of the tent and stars!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I've been wanting to go snow camping from the Emerald Bay area for years now. Last year, some folks I know from another forum went up to the Eagle Lake area for the night. I want to do a longer trip, maybe into the Velma's in early April some time before the water starts flowing much. The Forest Service starts getting a little concerned when you do a solo trip. Your night temperature was similar to what I have experienced in late winter snow camping. Nice pics, thank you.
Piece of cake.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Great pics, especially the night ones with the stars !!.

How'd you do that ? Camera, settings, etc ? I would love to take some star pics.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks all! It was a fun time...glad we're finally getting some snow now.

Duane, I was expecting the forest service to give me a hard time 'cause I was alone, but they were cool about it.

Tom, I had a canon 350d with 17-40mm lens. Those night shots were at f4.0 and iso400. They ranged in length but were usually about 4 minutes long. I couldn't believe the amount of light pollution up there though. I guess when I think about it I shouldn't be surprised.
Last edited by copeg on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

Great pics. Love the light in the tent.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

Great pictures, Trailblazer - thanks.

A question for you: I've only done that route in summer, and it's been a while, so I don't have a strong recollection of the trail. We were thinking of heading up there in a week and a half, and I was wondering if the route would work for pulling in a pulk rather than wearing a pack. We were planning to camp out near Mosquito Pass at the north end of Lake Aloha.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks Inge and naz...

naz, funny you mention a pulk because I was thinking about how I wouldn't want one when I was passing through some sections...mainly the area between upper echo lake and Haypress meadow. Some parts were bumpy and hilly. Depending which line you take down to Lake Aloha it could get bumpy too. They really are only small stretches though when compared with all the other parts that are pulk friendly, but enough for me personally to not want to take one up there. Man, I'd love to head back up there soon again.
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

Thanks, Trailblazer - sounds like a lightweight setup and pack is the way to go.