Desolation Wilderness TR | High Sierra Topix  

Desolation Wilderness TR

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.

Desolation Wilderness TR

Postby copeg » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:33 pm

This last weekend I took a short ski trip into Desolation Wilderness. I camped at Lake Aloha Saturday night. Weather Saturday was beautiful and warm, but Sunday it turned to warm but stormy conditions. I cut the trip a little short due to the weather, but the weather did make for some nice turns on the descent out :nod:

Photos and short trip report from Desolation Wilderness
Last edited by copeg on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby wingding » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:17 pm

I love the shot of the stars above Lake Aloha.
wingding

Postby Snow Nymph » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Way to get some turns in! Nice shot of the tent and stars!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby hikerduane » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:49 pm

I've been wanting to go snow camping from the Emerald Bay area for years now. Last year, some folks I know from another forum went up to the Eagle Lake area for the night. I want to do a longer trip, maybe into the Velma's in early April some time before the water starts flowing much. The Forest Service starts getting a little concerned when you do a solo trip. Your night temperature was similar to what I have experienced in late winter snow camping. Nice pics, thank you.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Postby The Other Tom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:51 am

Great pics, especially the night ones with the stars !!.

How'd you do that ? Camera, settings, etc ? I would love to take some star pics.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby copeg » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks all! It was a fun time...glad we're finally getting some snow now.

Duane, I was expecting the forest service to give me a hard time 'cause I was alone, but they were cool about it.

Tom, I had a canon 350d with 17-40mm lens. Those night shots were at f4.0 and iso400. They ranged in length but were usually about 4 minutes long. I couldn't believe the amount of light pollution up there though. I guess when I think about it I shouldn't be surprised.
Last edited by copeg on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copeg

Postby ifernau » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Great pics. Love the light in the tent.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/
ifernau
Topix Regular

Postby nazdarovye » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:11 pm

Great pictures, Trailblazer - thanks.

A question for you: I've only done that route in summer, and it's been a while, so I don't have a strong recollection of the trail. We were thinking of heading up there in a week and a half, and I was wondering if the route would work for pulling in a pulk rather than wearing a pack. We were planning to camp out near Mosquito Pass at the north end of Lake Aloha.
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Postby copeg » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks Inge and naz...

naz, funny you mention a pulk because I was thinking about how I wouldn't want one when I was passing through some sections...mainly the area between upper echo lake and Haypress meadow. Some parts were bumpy and hilly. Depending which line you take down to Lake Aloha it could get bumpy too. They really are only small stretches though when compared with all the other parts that are pulk friendly, but enough for me personally to not want to take one up there. Man, I'd love to head back up there soon again.
copeg

Postby nazdarovye » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks, Trailblazer - sounds like a lightweight setup and pack is the way to go.
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Postby madeintahoe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:00 pm

Oh my!! Trailblazer those are awesome pictures!! :nod: Just gorgeous. Aloha is such a magical place..I can't even imagine what it would be like there in the winter all snowy like that..Thank you for posting these. Very cool to see Lucille all covered..we do a hike out of Glen Alpine....before you get to Grass Lake you go xcrounty up to Lucille, than over to Jabu, LeConte and back out down to Heather & Susie..it's a great hike in the summer!

Yes, the stars one is amazing! That Saturday you were there was down right warm here..I remember..we were out on a short hike and it got quite warm.
We are getting dumped on the last three days :eek: :eek: :eek: It was so nice to have those dry conditions for so long..but we are back in full on winter conditions
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Return to Winter Sports