Great Ice -- June Lake

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Randonnee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Great Ice -- June Lake

Post by Randonnee »

Sorry no photos :( at this time. I was up on Horsetail Falls at June Lake this weekend with the axes and crampons. The cold streak really hardened the ice and the falls are in shape for climbing.

The tempatures were mild and comfortable for climbing. There were tons of blue ice. Several groups of climbers were at the site but spread out enough that we were not tripping over one another.

I did not get over there, but I heard that Lee Vinning Canyon is also in great shape.

For you Ice Junkies -- get out there, it doesn't get any better than it is right now :D

Edited to correct the name of Horsetail Falls
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
SynergyBlue
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SynergyBlue »

that sounds like a really cool trip. it sucks you didnt get a chance to take photos. would've loved to seen that blue ice.